New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Office Questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ColumbusMascot

ColumbusMascot is on a distinguished road

I'm about to buy a loaded 20" Imac for college. I've read all the posts about office but can't find one that truly answers my question. Which of the following is the fastest and or easiest way to run Office?

A. Running bootcamp, installing Windows XP, and then installing Office?

B. Installing my regular Windows Office 04 cd and letting Rosetta handle it?

C. Buying the Office for Mac software which would also be run using Rosetta?

I've got a pc laptop I'll be taking with me but really need the storage space of a desktop. I know I'll be able to accomplish much more on an Apple. Even though Auburn designates itself as an Apple School, everything there is PC so I know I will be needing to use office. Thanks in advance for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
iWonder

iWonder is a jewel in the roughiWonder is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.

Rosetta can't run windows apps.. mac can't run windows apps..

so its either A or C.

and it depends on how convenient you want it.

a would be faster, and c would be easier.
QUOTE Thanks
TBoblp

TBoblp is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac, 15" Powerbook G4 (sold), 20GB iPod (nearing death)

Buy it for mac. If you're getting a "loaded" 20" imac then it will run fine, you wont notice any lag. I have a 20" imac with a 1gb ram and it runs fine.

Jazz is life

"Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that **** and just play.
-Charlie Parker
QUOTE Thanks
Chundermuffin

Chundermuffin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 1st gen MacBook Pro - 15", 2.16GHz, 1G RAM, 100G HD

I'd go with option A, for now (that's what I plan to do when I get a Macbook Pro), seeing as you've already got a version of Office and presumably a copy of XP. I'll wait for Office to be universal before I consider buying the Mac version.

That said, I did get a chance today to try both Word and Excel on, funnily enough, a 20" Intel iMac, and they ran fine. Typing in Word had a delay, initially, but I put in a few sentences and it was smooth enough. Certainly not intolerable like some have been saying.
QUOTE Thanks
dohidied

dohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz

i'd just buy office for mac. i have it on my imac and it runs fine under rosetta. booting into windows just to use office would get to be a pain. boot camp is nice, but two minutes just to open office is a bit excessive.
QUOTE Thanks
Cashmonee

Cashmonee is on a distinguished road

Is there any idea when office will become dual binary? Are they just gonna wait for Office 2007?
QUOTE Thanks
dohidied

dohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the rough

yes, microsoft says that office won't be universal binary until the next release, which is most likely 2007.
QUOTE Thanks
-e-

i heard that office runs pretty badly through rosetta. is this true? i heard that powerpoint is super slow, and nothing else runs to full speed either. what's the go? i was just about to buy a macbook, but if i can't even run office on it... unless it involved booting it in windows, or using a slow emulated version... should i just get a powerbook instead and get the mac version?
QUOTE Thanks
dohidied

i haven't used powerpoint yet, but office and excel work fine for me. no, they don't run at full speed and i'm sure you can get it to lag if you try, but it's not as bad as some people would have you think. if you're close to an apple store you can go try office on one of the machines.
QUOTE Thanks
wxboss

wxboss is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel Mini Single Core/ 1GB RAM/ Superdrive: Ipod Nano 2GB

I would probably lean towards Office for Mac. Currently, there is a real nasty Word vulnerability that I believe only extends to the M$ based platform. I don't believe it affects the Mac version.

Here is a link on the vulnerability. Since I've made the full switch to OSX & Macs, I just have no desire to mess with M$ - it's a dangerous neighborhood.
QUOTE Thanks
Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis has a spectacular aura about

I run Mac Office on my new iMac 20 (1gig ram) with no problems in Word or Excel (haven't used Powerpoint) -- and I'm a fast typer. All the Office programs seem to load more slowly (compared to XP), perhaps because of Rosetta, but performance is not an issue.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Associating Files with programs | iMac superdrive »