New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

airport and internet connection

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

watchmanseven

This is probly an elementary question but since I don't know much about Mac systems I have to ask

I just got my new imac last night(!!) and have been working my way around a new OS.

I currently have a PC with a high-speed internet connection. The internet connection on the PC is wired, and I haven't set up any networks or wireless things or anything. I opened the imac box, plugged it in, clicked on safari and it just connected.

Is the imac just automatically connecting to my wired roadrunner connection, or how is that working? I was amazed that I didn't have to do anything.
QUOTE Thanks
watchmanseven

oh yeah, and is there a way to tell where the signal/connection is coming from?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

Do you have a cable modem with a wireless card on the back? Are you even connecting to YOUR network, not someone else's? Macs search for available wireless networks when you turn on Airport.
QUOTE Thanks
watchmanseven

It is a cable modem, but I don't know if it's wireless. It's whatever time warner cable installed when they put in the digital cable, phone, and internet.

and that's what I wanted to make sure-that I wasn't connected to someone else's network. How far out will airport look for a connection?
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

I think the range is around 100 yds (don't quote me on that) but check Airport to see where it's connected. It'll have the name of the router (Linksys, Netgear, etc) under Network name. TWC gave us a cable modem with a wireless card by Netgear and it synced up automatically with the comps that have wireless cards. Most likely getting some all inclusive package got you that instead of a plain cable modem.
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by deus_ex_machina
I think the range is around 100 yds (don't quote me on that) but check Airport to see where it's connected. It'll have the name of the router (Linksys, Netgear, etc) under Network name. TWC gave us a cable modem with a wireless card by Netgear and it synced up automatically with the comps that have wireless cards. Most likely getting some all inclusive package got you that instead of a plain cable modem.

to check where your wireless is coming from, click on the radar symbol next to the speaker symbol. This will say the name like the quote above said
QUOTE Thanks
watchmanseven

When it first started it wanted to know what network to use and I didn't know so I choose linksys b/c that was the first one listed. I didn't think I would get a connection so I wasn't worried about it. I will have to check the modem and see if I can find anything.
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmanseven
When it first started it wanted to know what network to use and I didn't know so I choose linksys b/c that was the first one listed. I didn't think I would get a connection so I wasn't worried about it. I will have to check the modem and see if I can find anything.
TWC deals with Netgear - you're on someone's Linksys wireless router. It never asked for a password? That's not good for them. Check your cable modem to see if it has a card. If not, you can upgrade to one with a card installed. If you do, access your router through Safari (typing 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1, not sure which for Linksys or Netgear) in the address bar and configure your router. Activate encryption unlike your neighbors
QUOTE Thanks
watchmanseven

Nope it didn't ask for a password.

I'll do that thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
watchmanseven

K, so I was checking out my TWC cable modem and found that only one of two ethernet connections are being used.

Could I use the open ethernet to connect an airport extreme to and send that to my mac? Or would that do something and mess up the wired computer?
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmanseven
K, so I was checking out my TWC cable modem and found that only one of two ethernet connections are being used.

Could I use the open ethernet to connect an airport extreme to and send that to my mac? Or would that do something and mess up the wired computer?
The open ethernet port is definitely open - It won't mess with any wireless connection. For a while myself I was hardwired to the TWC modem and the rest of my roommates were wireless. Worked flawlessly - although one roommate had an old Belkin USB adapter that required us to drop our encryption to use it. It was really old.
QUOTE Thanks
farmcock

farmcock has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I bought an iMac in jan. and chose 'default' when setting up internet connection because i didn't have any internet service at the time. I was immediately able to get online. I guess my 802.11 card is picking up someone else's network, but there's no one else in my apartment building with an unnamed wireless network because i can see all the others.

Another thing is, I'm sure it is probably not legal, but hey, it's not hurting anyone else that I'm aware of.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mighty Mouse Question | Firefox ALWAYS downloads files even on "Open" »