New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Changing the Icon For Desktop Alias

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I dragged an alias for my home folder out onto my desktop. This worked just fine and I can now open my home folder just by double clicking that alias. But, the icon for it is not the nice "house" icon that I see in the normal finder view. How can I change the icon used for this desktop alias. I seem to recall, from about 10 years ago, when I used a Mac at work for a while, that I could do a Get Info and then drag a new icon onto the icon shown there. Does this still work? If so, where does OS X hide its stash of icons? Thanks!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

It has not changed. Just do the get info on the folder. Select/click on the icon and then do a copy. Next do the get info on the other folder. Select/click on the icon and then paste. You should see the new icon.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future

Great, thanks. After much fiddling around, I got it to work. I kept trying to click, copy and paste on the preview instead of the icon!

Boy it is tough to be a rank newbie again! I have mastered every version of Windows since 1993, about 10 different flavors of Linux, and about 3 different flavors of Unix. I thought I was computer savvy! I guess not! This Mac interface is challenging me.

Can you help with one more related thing? I would like most files to use the icon of the application that opens it as the default icon that Finder displays for the file. So, for example, I would like Word documents to all show up with the nice stylized blue Word icon. I can do the copy/paste thing for every file, but that will quickly become tedious. Is there a way to make this automatic?

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 13in macbook - 10.10.1

Do a Get Info on one file, lets say a .doc file. Down near the bottom is a pulldown menu, says "open with". Select Word. Under that is a button, says "change all", click it. This will associate all .doc files with Word.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

Hi cradom, thanks. Eventually I stumbled over this one myself, but I just don't like the default icon that Mac OS X uses for the file type. Apparently there is no way to change that default, short of buying a third party app like CandyBar? Hard to believe...

QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 13in macbook - 10.10.1

If you have Xcode installed, you could use the ICNS editor and edit the .icns file in the app bundle. Right/control click on the app and select "show package contents". Look in the resources folder. Find the one the app uses for files and edit it. Try this at your own risk. Worst that can happen, you have to reinstall the app.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

Thanks cradom, but for a Mac newbie like myself, that sounds too risky. I will accept my fate for now - I may get more adventurous when I am more comfortable with Mac OS X. Thanks for the help though - much appreciated.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mini Ordered!! | I want a Macbook Pro »