New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

potential switcher - powerbook vs macbook pro?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CEN7272

CEN7272 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini CD 1.66; 2GB RAM, 80GB HD

the new Macbooks might be the way to go, if you do some reading on the site you'll see that they are considerably faster than the 12" powerbooks. I'm happy with my Mac Mini but if I hadn't just got it 2 days ago I probably would have ordered one of the Macbooks and they come in black with a glossy screen which IMO would be pretty sweet.
QUOTE Thanks
Left Face Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by -e-
call me stupid, but i just noticed that there's macbooks and then there's macbook pros!
Rumors were true... the Powerbook and iBook got discontinued today and the Macbook was introduced as a replacement. I'm surprised they only come in 13" models though. I would hope that they introduce atleast a 15" one some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Face Down
Also, if rumors are true (possible...) the last Powerbook may just be discontinued THIS WEEK along with the iBooks.
QUOTE Thanks
-e-

what a crazy world we live in!
i had a chat with an apple sales assistant guy today, brought up my concerns, asked questions etc. he reckons that for me at the moment a powerbook would be the best, what with the whole intel chip not being compatible with a bunch of software. he says the advantage of the macbook (pro) is that in a year or so it'll be really good, but for the moment i'd be a lot better off with a powerbook. i asked if that means that in a year a powerbook will be superfluous, he told me that any new software would still run on it, just not as well as it would on something with the intel chip. maybe i was just happy to talk to someone who wasn't trying to convince me that i desperately need the newest and most expensive model out there, but at the moment i think i'm leaning towards maybe a 15" powerbook.
what do you think?
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

It's a tough choice, powerbooks are nice because everything works for them and they are great machines. MacBook Pros are nice because they are super fast and when everything is universal it will be an insane machine. The salesman was right, the MacBook Pros will be good in a year, but they are good now its the software that needs to catch up. I think to help you we need to know more of what you will be doing on the computer and from what ive seen with the new MacBooks, one of those might be great for you. We just need to know more of what programs you want to use and how you will use the computer. I will say that whatever you do get, a powerbook, macbook pro, or macbook, youre going to be happy.
QUOTE Thanks
-e-

my main concern is programs not working on a macbook, although someone told me about something called rosetta, which from what i can tell, means most things will work on an intel-based computer? except for some pro software or something, which i doubt i'd ever have to use anyway.
it'll depend what software they want us to use at uni for the rest of the degree, but so far we've used things like dreamweaver, photoshop, flash, director, imovie and garage band. obviously imovie and garage band would (they'd come with it, right?), but would the other programs work on a macbook? next semester i'm doing an audio elective, at the moment we're using garage band but i'm sure we'll use something different next semester, something more sophisticated.
but pretty much i think i'd be using a lot of macromedia software, probably a fair bit of adobe as well. how well would adobe programs fair on a macbook?
QUOTE Thanks
Left Face Down

The whole thing with the Rosetta emulation is the emulation of Mac software that is not Universal Binary. It's the software that was written for the Power PC processors that needs to be translated for the Intel Processors on the new Macs.

Anything that has worked on previous Macs will work on the Intel Macs, however things that are not Universal Binary will have to be run through Rosetta where it'll just translate the code for the Intel Processor which will cause the program to run slower than it should. This is exactly why in a year the Macbook Pro will be great, because by that time everything that is scripted for the Power PC Processors will have moved on to the Intel Processors. So everything will use the MBP to it's full advantage.

Also, iLife 06 and so forth 06 programs by Mac are made for the Intel processors. So they'll work to their full potential but other things will have to be "emulated" through rosetta until their is a universal binary version available.
QUOTE Thanks
-e-

does that mean i'll have to get new software as it comes out? what kind of software isn't universal?
what do you reckon i should do?
QUOTE Thanks
-e-

*bump*

i think i've decided on a macbook. probably not the black one, but the next best one. my dad can run it through his business so i'd get it a fair bit cheaper. given what i'd be using it for (word processing, audio and video editing, a bit of animation, macromedia and adobe programs, general internet usage, possibly a little bit of gaming), and not wanting to spend up bigtime, do you think this is a good choice?
QUOTE Thanks
caveatipss

Quote:
Originally Posted by -e-
*bump*

i think i've decided on a macbook. probably not the black one, but the next best one. my dad can run it through his business so i'd get it a fair bit cheaper. given what i'd be using it for (word processing, audio and video editing, a bit of animation, macromedia and adobe programs, general internet usage, possibly a little bit of gaming), and not wanting to spend up bigtime, do you think this is a good choice?
You mean you're not going to pay almost $300 for the color black? lol good choice I would say
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

Sounds like a good choice to me, the macbooks look like some really solid computers.
QUOTE Thanks
-e-

well it's all settled, on monday i ordered a 2ghz white macbook with upgraded ram and hard drive storage. can't wait til it comes, i hope it likes me!
QUOTE Thanks
ezhangin

ezhangin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz

I used one at the store the other day, I loved it (my PowerBook was a little jealous probably). However, please do not forget parallels, no one has mentioned it yet I believe. Parallels makes virtualization software that allows you to run Windows in, well, a window. You can run other operating systems too. You can find it here It's nice because you don't have to do a reboot to run windows programs. If you have ever used VMware or VirtualPC before its the same idea, but its faster than those two programs because it uses the virtualization technology built into the intel processors that now live in your macbook.
QUOTE Thanks
-e-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhangin
I used one at the store the other day, I loved it (my PowerBook was a little jealous probably). However, please do not forget parallels, no one has mentioned it yet I believe. Parallels makes virtualization software that allows you to run Windows in, well, a window. You can run other operating systems too. You can find it here It's nice because you don't have to do a reboot to run windows programs. If you have ever used VMware or VirtualPC before its the same idea, but its faster than those two programs because it uses the virtualization technology built into the intel processors that now live in your macbook.
ooh does that mean i can effectively run windows in osx? so run pc software straight from osc? what's the speed like, given that it's all emulated, do you know? thanks for pointing this out, it could be really handy!
QUOTE Thanks
ezhangin

ezhangin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by -e-
ooh does that mean i can effectively run windows in sox? so run pc software straight from osc? what's the speed like, given that it's all emulated, do you know? thanks for pointing this out, it could be really handy!
What's nice is that its not emulated at all, an emulator is something like VirtualPC for a PowerPC mac which literally converts each CPU instruction from PowerPC to Intel (x86). This is pretty inefficient. Parallels (and VMware) let you use your existing hardware very efficiently. Apparently from what I have heard parallels is fast enough to do just about anything except heavy duty gaming (I would believe booting in Windows using bootcamp would be better for games because your computer resources would be used for windows only).

As for how it works in Mac OS its just literally a program you start. Once setup Windows (or I guess your operating system of choice) will open in a window on your desktop. You can even have more than one operating system open. I cannot confirm, however, if parallels has drag and drop support like the old school VirtualPC (drag a file from the Mac OS into the Windows window).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Toast 7 - on two macs? | Education Warranty »