Specs:
    Dual G5 powermac
    Dual G5 acting up...
    hi guys...got some quite strange behavior going on here

For some time now, my super drive wont eject the dvd/cd. Its not that its not listening, its that the door on the case wont open..more like the drive isnt pushing it enough..

ok fine..i gotta pull the door down..when theres no cd/dvd, it opens just fine

so tonight im watching Anchor Man with the gf. Yea, subtitles are on..for no reason. Theyre off in the movie's menu, theyre off in DVDPlayer, yet theyre sitll showing..and this is in Apple's font, white with the grey backround.

But the top it all off really worrying me one..

I take my finals today, and come home around noon..take a nap..and am awaken rudely around 230pm by a sound i can only describe as a leaf blower...only getting louder and louder..slowly winding up...its so loud, i almost have to yell to talk! im looking aorund my window thinking its the neighbors...and when i finally realize its the mac... :eek: i turn on the monitors, both frozen, mouse is OFF. i push the button, but it does nothing..i wait i wait, power button does nothing so i just pull the plug..i wait a good 10 minutes and feel..the entre case was HOT..so i take the thing apart and blow the dust out with an air compressor..been running fine since, with the exceptions mentioned above (DVDs)

But honestly, WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT? in the year ive owned this thing, ive had nothing but a great experience.

The only thing i could think MAYBE triggered it was F@H, whiich i leave run 24/7.

Im a bit nervious, as htis month is all finals for myself and my brother, which all prety much mean heavy graphics/video work...i CANT afford even a few days to send it in...its rendering as i type.

Any clue guys? Thanks in advance
    new vid 8/8/05

Specs:
    3.4 Ghz i7 27 in iMac (2012), 3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone 6+
    The "Leaf Blower" was likely caused by a Kernel Panic.

You can boot from the DVD and run repair permissions and Dic Repair from the Disc Utility on the boot DVD for starters.

Specs:
    Dual G5 powermac
    Could the kernel panic be caused by not doing a repair permissions in awhile? cause its honestly been months..i just went and did it..took it awhile

So i put it to sleep for the night. Wake up, and my display prefs are completely GONE!
    new vid 8/8/05

Specs:
    3.4 Ghz i7 27 in iMac (2012), 3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone 6+
    I don't thinks it's likely, but it is possible. I'd start by doing that and then let us know what happens their are other things you can do too.

Have you installed any new hardware on this machine lately? RAM, Drives, Cards, anything?

Specs:
    Dual G5 powermac
    Nope, havent even touched software. Its been pretty much running EVERYTHING it has a year ago, minus the updates

Im going to run the diagnostic DVD later on, probably tmr morning when i have time.
    new vid 8/8/05

Specs:
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    Being completely new to the Mac world (just got my first ever Mac yesterday) may I ask what Repair Permissions is? Is this some form of routine maintenance that is needed?

Specs:
    Sort of yes. All it does is repairs the user permission for your system and returns them to the correct settings. Some of them can get changed or messed up from time to time and this simply assures that everything in the system is as it should be.

You can get an App like cocktail that will also run the UNIX Cron scripts for you which are general UNIX maintenance and should be run about once a month to ensure the OS's health.

Specs:
    Dual G5 powermac
    yea i was thinking of doing that in Chronix...just didnt know how....well chronix and make it do the same permissions as macJanitor, but i usually leave mine on 24/7, so i figured my machiine did its maintenence at 3-5am like the MacJanitor site said it would
    new vid 8/8/05

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by MadSkillzMan
    hThe only thing i could think MAYBE triggered it was F@H, whiich i leave run 24/7
    I would disable the F@H application until you are finished with finals. That would rule it out as the problem.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Specs:
    Dual G5 powermac
    so far i have and all is well...that kinda sucks
    new vid 8/8/05

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    that maybe true, but having a working system is more important to you during final projects.

My guess would be that you had thermal issues, due to dust. I have seen dust cause all kind of problem on systems I have managed at work.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Thread Information