Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Specs:
    iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
    For a "wow" moment, download Quartz Desktop, a small little application that enables you to view quartz compositions on your desktop....

Then take any quartz composition (the RSS screensaver? Bluelines, my personal favourite) and watch as your desktop background comes to life...

(did I not explain it well? I think so)

Specs:
    27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    Ok, that's pretty cool....

nickuss04
    The first time I used Mac OS X was January last year. Prior to that I had only used a Macintosh Classic back in the early 90's. Other than that, I had only ever used Windows.

When I first used OS X, I thought it was the most difficult OS to use and I couldn't make sense of anything. Once I spent some time discovering all the different parts of the system and the extra smart features that are included. I now find OS X (especially tiger) to be far superior, easier and much better looking. Most tasks I do on a daily bases I can do twice as fast as I would on windows. You just have to get used to it.

I think the simplicity of the system would more suit absolute beginners rather than switchers from windows because of the habits you have from using windows. It took me a while to automatically move the mouse to the left rather than the right to close a window or to relise that apps dont actually quit when you close the window of it.

We'll have to try the Quartz Desktop...
    Funny about the "closing the window doesn't stop the app" thing...I laughed when I read it. We do that all the time. That was initially part of our problem...all the apps were still running and our 512MB machine was dog slow....My son show me how to really stop them. For the first week I was just leaving them all on...we let the iMac put itself to sleep instead of turning it off..after a couple of days, all the apps were "running"...

Also, the menu bar always staying at the top the screen and not being on the window of the application (where it belongs! ha, ha, ha) you are currently using is hard to get used to...The Mac is more subtle about which application is actually "current".

Ferdball
    Quote Originally Posted by christm
    i...return it
    I'm actually seriously considering upgrading mine. I'm a 'switcher' and have had my Mini for about 4 days now. After the iPhoto library sucked in 16GB's worth of pictures, and 13GB from one DV tape, I have a whopping 10GB left on my little 60GB hard drive.

I've got a whole rant about this library thing, but I'd pay for the upgrade. I bought through the Apple store. Would they consider letting me upgrade? Or do they really charge the 10% restocking fee?

Specs:
    White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
    It depends on how long you've had your Mini.
    Macbook: 2ghz Core Duo, 2gb Ram

Don't forget to use the User Reputation System

Ferdball
    Looks like there are three options:
    1) Wait for Universal Binaries for your favorite programs
    2) Buy more RAM
    3) Pay the 10% restocking fee and upgrade the box.

jgohlke, what are you inclined to do?

Specs:
    Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
    for the MS office gripes, i just use pages and keynote. they are a big improvement of MS word, excel and powerpoint. Like a lot of people described, it took about 2 weeks of using pages in frustration before i realized "hey, it does that too. and that. and that. and it's so simple. cool!"
    "You can play your electric guitar but it ain’t gonna change the world
    You can get all emotional on me and cry like a little girl"
    -Electric Six- Rock 'n Roll Evacuation- Señor Smoke

Quote Originally Posted by ShillAT
    for the MS office gripes, i just use pages and keynote. they are a big improvement of MS word, excel and powerpoint. Like a lot of people described, it took about 2 weeks of using pages in frustration before i realized "hey, it does that too. and that. and that. and it's so simple. cool!"
    So keynote, and pages come with iWork right. so they are easy to use like word, excel, and powerpoint and the rest of the office applications.

Specs:
    MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferdball
    I'm actually seriously considering upgrading mine. I'm a 'switcher' and have had my Mini for about 4 days now. After the iPhoto library sucked in 16GB's worth of pictures, and 13GB from one DV tape, I have a whopping 10GB left on my little 60GB hard drive.

I've got a whole rant about this library thing, but I'd pay for the upgrade. I bought through the Apple store. Would they consider letting me upgrade? Or do they really charge the 10% restocking fee?
    Why not just buy a firewire/USB external drive much cheaper than have apple put a new drive in, then you have the flexibility of transporting it between machines if you want.

If you want the neatness of an external drive to go with your mini, you could get something like the following which fits under your Mini and has the added advantage of extra ports too:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ministack/

Lacie also do a similar one.

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10727
    Fondest regards, Kyomii

My Snapshots

Specs:
    Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
    Photo and video file sizes are pretty much the same on either platform. You can't blame the mini for that. That's why I'm looking at the 250gb 20" iMac.

Ferdball
    No, my problem is that I didn't know how to keep my raw files on the USB drive at the time of the import. Now I have to figure out how to more my libraries over, or just delete them and start over. I'm new here.

Specs:
    Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
    To the OP:
    What did you end up doing with your iMac? I just got the Intel 20" and I love it!

Thread Information