New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How do I type a path in the finder?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cmer

Just got a MacBook Pro and I'm selling all my PCs! I have one little question about the Finder. How can I type a path and go there automatically instead of browsing with the mouse?

On XP, I can type the path in the "address bar" but I don't see that on OS X.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

With Finder activated hit Command+Shift+G.

The command button is the one with the Apple logo on it.

This will bring up a small window where you can then type your path.

Use the ~ symbol to represent your Home folder. Example:

~/Music/Radiohead/

...would take me to my Home folder/Music/Radiohead. Get it? :mac:

Welcome to the forums!

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
cmer

Thanks for the tip! Is there a way to show an address bar in the finder? Would make my life easier. Too many shortcuts to remember at the same time!

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfwax95
With Finder activated hit Command+Shift+G.

The command button is the one with the Apple logo on it.

This will bring up a small window where you can then type your path.

Use the ~ symbol to represent your Home folder. Example:

~/Music/Radiohead/

...would take me to my Home folder/Music/Radiohead. Get it? :mac:

Welcome to the forums!
QUOTE Thanks
zeta101

zeta101 has a spectacular aura about

I would also like to know if this is possible. I do know that you can add a drop down menu to the finder (right click on some empty toolbar space and choose customise). Its not a proper addressbar but it lets you atleast find the path of where you are.
QUOTE Thanks
firsteggprez

firsteggprez is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 3 GHz 3 gigs of ram & 2004 PowerBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeta101
I would also like to know if this is possible. I do know that you can add a drop down menu to the finder (right click on some empty toolbar space and choose customise). Its not a proper addressbar but it lets you atleast find the path of where you are.
http://quicksilver.blacktree.com/ try that program out... best thing ive ever used! You dont have to worry about the finder

-Chapman Film School: Class of 2012-
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

you can add the folder to your list of folders on the left side of your finder window, just drage the folder you want over there.

there are a lot of keyboard shortcuts, but remembering them all seems a lot easier than knowing the folder heirarchy of each place on your computer

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

yea get quicksilver installed its the ultimate app for me

Apple, think different
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Another recommendation for quicksilver...

Think of it as an extremely quick folder finding, application launching, document moving spotlight deluxe...
QUOTE Thanks
zeta101

zeta101 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsteggprez
http://quicksilver.blacktree.com/ try that program out... best thing ive ever used! You dont have to worry about the finder
I actually use quicksilver and find it amazing, I especially like how you can send an email in no time at all without even getting to the parts about app launcing and file finding! I do use the finder a lot less because of it but I still feel a little lost by not knowing the path at a glance (since quicksilver is by no means a replacement for the finder in my mind, it just cuts out a lot of the navigating). Maybe it's just a vestige from using windows or the way I organise my files, who knows.

I think the original poster should definately take a look at quicksilver though
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mac AIM | Mac Mini, 2GB RAM....Is this right? »