New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Adobe Clarification

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

caveatipss

I have read here that Adobe CS is not "Universal?" What exactly does that mean, and will I be able to use it on my new Intel iMac?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Universal means it will run natively on both the PPC and Intel Macs. With Abobe till the next version, it will run on the Intel Mac but under Emulation under Rosetta. What that means is it will be slower but still work fine. It all depends on what you do whether it will bother you or not. If you do not own S2, I would wait on purchasing it till next year when CS3 comes out so you will not have to buy that EXPENSIVE Suite twice!! They say sometime next year. It really bugs me to no end that CS2 users will never have a patch to make it run or an upgrade but will have to buy CS3 for full price.

If you already have CS2, it will work, just not as fast as it would if it were a Universal Application.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

i believe adobe is sticking with their original release patterns and not releasing a universal binary until their next version of the adobe suite (cs3 maybe?), and if my memory serves me correctly that will be mid '07

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
MAC-simus

MAC-simus has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2GHz C2D macbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveatipss
I have read here that Adobe CS is not "Universal?" What exactly does that mean, and will I be able to use it on my new Intel iMac?
it will work, but you'll get about 50% sped decrease. imagine you have 1.25 G4 mini and you'll get over it

adobe promises to deliver native (universal) version by the end of the year.

I can understand what adobe is thinking, all pros use workstations, CS is for pros, so far G5 is the only apple workstation. most of the people who run CS on iMac, mini or iBook have pirated copies so adobe says: "screw them until pros get their intel workstations"
QUOTE Thanks
netdog

netdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7
It really bugs me to no end that CS2 users will never have a patch to make it run or an upgrade but will have to buy CS3 for full price.
While I agree with you that it would be nice to get CS2 Universal (at least at some point) so it can run natively on the Intel-based Macs, you won't need to pay full price for CS3 if you own CS2. It's an upgrade purchase in that case.
QUOTE Thanks
netdog

netdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC-simus
adobe promises to deliver native (universal) version by the end of the year.
Promises? Where did you read this?

As far as promises go, Adobe has publicly committed to supporting Apple's new Intel-based Macs. No promise on any date has been given. In fact, Adobe have stated that customers will have to wait until the next major product release to get Universal support. With respect to timeline, although Adobe has a corporate policy of not commenting on future ship dates, they generally have a major upgrade every 18-24 months. Keeping in mind that Photoshop CS2 was released in April of 2005, this should give you a rough guidline for transition purposes.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC-simus
it will work, but you'll get about 50% sped decrease.
Where did that number come from? I have heard various estimations but does anyone have any real numbers?

QUOTE Thanks
Alvin Meister

At our design agency we read all the blurb on the internet about Rosetta apps because we needed a new IMac. We were undecided whether to buy a G5 or an Intel since we'd read that Adobe programs sucked under Rosetta 1 minute to startup, slower than a G4 etc.

We plumped for the Intel and I can tell you all the scaremongering is baloney. Photoshop and Illustrator are fast. Not lightning but still speedy. They take about 20 secs to startup and then there's no noticable slowdown when using them. QuarkXPress tales a little longer to start, about 40 secs, but after that you're away.

As one example, in a test against a 733Mhz G4, enlarging images from 72 to 300 dpi and enlarging by 1500% took about 15 sec on the 2gig Intel and about 1min 30 on the G4. I don't how the G5 would compare, but we use all the usual creative apps in a professional environment. The Intel under Rosetta is superb.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Meister
As one example, in a test against a 733Mhz G4, enlarging images from 72 to 300 dpi and enlarging by 1500% took about 15 sec on the 2gig Intel and about 1min 30 on the G4. I don't how the G5 would compare, but we use all the usual creative apps in a professional environment. The Intel under Rosetta is superb.
That's not a very fair comparison to say the least. You'd get a better idea from 1.5Ghz G4 or a 1.8Ghz G5. Even that would be lopsided as the iMac is a CorDuo. Maybe something like lil's rig would give you a good comparison.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple Display | iPhoto Filenames? »