New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

iMac shaking when typing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

playm0de

playm0de has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 20 inch iMac Core Duo

When I am just typing on my iMac the whole panel shakes slightly. Does this happened to anyone else? Youd think for almost $2000 apple would make a sturdy product.
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

Are you pounding around on your keyboarD? Kidding.

Make sure your mac is on an absolutely even surface, and that the table is steady too. Try moving your mac a couple of inches, sometimes very weird transports of energy can cause vibrations.

This isn't really a known problem with the iMac, it's just a bit of bad luck and physics.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
macAttack

macAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook

at about what angle is the mac pointed at?
QUOTE Thanks
playm0de

Man this is really annoying. I hate paying a ton of money for something that doesnt work near flawlessly...and this is just the design. Ive tried several angles and positions and the imac still shakes even when im typing....It could be the desk...I had my room painted and my desk is about 2 feet out from the wall...but honestly I still dont think an almost $2000 computer should be flimsy.
QUOTE Thanks
macAttack

macAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook

i doubt the computer is flimsy, it sounds liek your desk is rather poorly put together, or perhaps just not screwed tight enough together
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by macAttack
i doubt the computer is flimsy, it sounds liek your desk is rather poorly put together, or perhaps just not screwed tight enough together
I'd go with that too. The iMac isn't shaky at all, but if the table/desk it stands on moves, vibrates or shakes, the iMac does so too.
We have them on glass tables in our showroom, and there's nothing moving on the iMac when somebody types.
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

My vote's the desk - the first desk I had shook because IT was poorly designed
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

my apple keyboard rattles all the time on the desk i have because it isnt 100% flat in all places, move it an inch or two and it is perfectly fine

is it moving at the point in which your imac connects to its stand or is the whole thing moving?? you can probably test this by looking at the back of it and slightly pushing it on its sides to see if the connection is faulty. if it is bring it into an apple store and you should get some quick service of that one

-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
Fallooza

Fallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant future

im tryin ta make my iMac shake when i type. i dont think smashin my fingers through the keyboard at i type would be enough ta do it. try putin it on a different table and see if it still does.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallooza
im tryin ta make my iMac shake when i type. i dont think smashin my fingers through the keyboard at i type would be enough ta do it. try putin it on a different table and see if it still does.
Agreed, I would have to hit my keyboard with my fists and break the keys. It has to be the table.
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

My iMac is as solid as a rock. It doesn't budge. You should have a video of this. Take it to antoher table. If that doesn't work, take it to the genius bar and show them. But I don't think the iMac is at fault.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
playm0de

Ok I have a theory. I havent noticed the shake since before the painters were in my room. They moved my desk (WITH COMPUTER ON IT!!) about a foot from the wall. I wasnt home so I dont know what my mom was thinking. I honestly dont knpow how they moved it but I figured out the problem is where the metal base connects to the panel. Typing causes it to shake, and when I adjust the screen angle a ever so slight scraping noise is present which I dont think was there before. Im seriously pissed cuz I put all my money into this computer and now it is slightly shaking even from something like typing. I have not noticed this before in the 2 months ive had the iMac and it backs up my theory that the painters did this since I just noticed it after they came. Im planning on telling my dad but he'll probably think Im overexaggerating.
QUOTE Thanks
Fallooza

Fallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by playm0de
Ok I have a theory. I havent noticed the shake since before the painters were in my room. They moved my desk (WITH COMPUTER ON IT!!) about a foot from the wall. I wasnt home so I dont know what my mom was thinking. I honestly dont knpow how they moved it but I figured out the problem is where the metal base connects to the panel. Typing causes it to shake, and when I adjust the screen angle a ever so slight scraping noise is present which I dont think was there before. Im seriously pissed cuz I put all my money into this computer and now it is slightly shaking even from something like typing. I have not noticed this before in the 2 months ive had the iMac and it backs up my theory that the painters did this since I just noticed it after they came. Im planning on telling my dad but he'll probably think Im overexaggerating.
maybe there is something in between where the imac and base come tagether. i would try blowing some some compressed air in it.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

i would have moved it out of the room if you knew the painters were coming....i put my powermac in the closet when the cleaning lady comes because she is a complete idiot and breaks things all the time.

-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by playm0de
Can you see any scratches on the housing that haven't been there before? Because my guess would be that the painters made it fall somehow, and just put it back, as if nothing had happened. I don't see any other possibility how it could have happened otherwise...

@coach_z:
You need a new cleaning lady... :cool:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhoto Filenames? | PC v. Mac Attitude »