Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Switcher Hangout (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/)
-   -   iMac shaking when typing (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/34173-imac-shaking-when-typing.html)

playm0de 05-03-2006 05:15 PM

iMac shaking when typing
 
When I am just typing on my iMac the whole panel shakes slightly. Does this happened to anyone else? Youd think for almost $2000 apple would make a sturdy product.

yogi 05-03-2006 05:27 PM

Are you pounding around on your keyboarD? Kidding.

Make sure your mac is on an absolutely even surface, and that the table is steady too. Try moving your mac a couple of inches, sometimes very weird transports of energy can cause vibrations.

This isn't really a known problem with the iMac, it's just a bit of bad luck and physics.

macAttack 05-03-2006 05:32 PM

at about what angle is the mac pointed at?

playm0de 05-03-2006 07:35 PM

Man this is really annoying. I hate paying a ton of money for something that doesnt work near flawlessly...and this is just the design. Ive tried several angles and positions and the imac still shakes even when im typing....It could be the desk...I had my room painted and my desk is about 2 feet out from the wall...but honestly I still dont think an almost $2000 computer should be flimsy.

macAttack 05-03-2006 07:40 PM

i doubt the computer is flimsy, it sounds liek your desk is rather poorly put together, or perhaps just not screwed tight enough together

Avalon 05-04-2006 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macAttack
i doubt the computer is flimsy, it sounds liek your desk is rather poorly put together, or perhaps just not screwed tight enough together

I'd go with that too. The iMac isn't shaky at all, but if the table/desk it stands on moves, vibrates or shakes, the iMac does so too.
We have them on glass tables in our showroom, and there's nothing moving on the iMac when somebody types.

deus_ex_machina 05-04-2006 01:10 PM

My vote's the desk - the first desk I had shook because IT was poorly designed ;)

coach_z 05-04-2006 01:45 PM

my apple keyboard rattles all the time on the desk i have because it isnt 100% flat in all places, move it an inch or two and it is perfectly fine

is it moving at the point in which your imac connects to its stand or is the whole thing moving?? you can probably test this by looking at the back of it and slightly pushing it on its sides to see if the connection is faulty. if it is bring it into an apple store and you should get some quick service of that one

-chris

Fallooza 05-04-2006 02:00 PM

im tryin ta make my iMac shake when i type. i dont think smashin my fingers through the keyboard at i type would be enough ta do it. try putin it on a different table and see if it still does.

dtravis7 05-04-2006 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallooza
im tryin ta make my iMac shake when i type. i dont think smashin my fingers through the keyboard at i type would be enough ta do it. try putin it on a different table and see if it still does.

Agreed, I would have to hit my keyboard with my fists and break the keys. It has to be the table.

yogi 05-04-2006 05:26 PM

My iMac is as solid as a rock. It doesn't budge. You should have a video of this. Take it to antoher table. If that doesn't work, take it to the genius bar and show them. But I don't think the iMac is at fault.

playm0de 05-04-2006 08:35 PM

Ok I have a theory. I havent noticed the shake since before the painters were in my room. They moved my desk (WITH COMPUTER ON IT!!) about a foot from the wall. I wasnt home so I dont know what my mom was thinking. I honestly dont knpow how they moved it but I figured out the problem is where the metal base connects to the panel. Typing causes it to shake, and when I adjust the screen angle a ever so slight scraping noise is present which I dont think was there before. Im seriously pissed cuz I put all my money into this computer and now it is slightly shaking even from something like typing. I have not noticed this before in the 2 months ive had the iMac and it backs up my theory that the painters did this since I just noticed it after they came. Im planning on telling my dad but he'll probably think Im overexaggerating.

Fallooza 05-04-2006 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by playm0de
Ok I have a theory. I havent noticed the shake since before the painters were in my room. They moved my desk (WITH COMPUTER ON IT!!) about a foot from the wall. I wasnt home so I dont know what my mom was thinking. I honestly dont knpow how they moved it but I figured out the problem is where the metal base connects to the panel. Typing causes it to shake, and when I adjust the screen angle a ever so slight scraping noise is present which I dont think was there before. Im seriously pissed cuz I put all my money into this computer and now it is slightly shaking even from something like typing. I have not noticed this before in the 2 months ive had the iMac and it backs up my theory that the painters did this since I just noticed it after they came. Im planning on telling my dad but he'll probably think Im overexaggerating.

maybe there is something in between where the imac and base come tagether. i would try blowing some some compressed air in it.

coach_z 05-05-2006 12:37 AM

i would have moved it out of the room if you knew the painters were coming....i put my powermac in the closet when the cleaning lady comes because she is a complete idiot and breaks things all the time.

-chris

Avalon 05-05-2006 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by playm0de
Ok I have a theory. I havent noticed the shake since before the painters were in my room. They moved my desk (WITH COMPUTER ON IT!!) about a foot from the wall. I wasnt home so I dont know what my mom was thinking. I honestly dont knpow how they moved it but I figured out the problem is where the metal base connects to the panel. Typing causes it to shake, and when I adjust the screen angle a ever so slight scraping noise is present which I dont think was there before. Im seriously pissed cuz I put all my money into this computer and now it is slightly shaking even from something like typing. I have not noticed this before in the 2 months ive had the iMac and it backs up my theory that the painters did this since I just noticed it after they came. Im planning on telling my dad but he'll probably think Im overexaggerating.

Can you see any scratches on the housing that haven't been there before? Because my guess would be that the painters made it fall somehow, and just put it back, as if nothing had happened. I don't see any other possibility how it could have happened otherwise...

@coach_z:
You need a new cleaning lady... :cool:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.