New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

iMac 2gHz Time Limited?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

caveatipss

I can buy a 20" with the highest specs this month, or I can wait until the 2.33 come out. I guess I am wondering if anyone knows almost precisely when that will be. Honestly, if I buy the 2.0 and the 2.33 comes ou soon thereafter, I will be seriously angry and will demand a refund.
QUOTE Thanks
caveatipss

P.S. Here is what I can buy this month.

Specifications

* 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
* 500GB Serial ATA drive
* ATI Radeon X1600/256MB VRAM
* SuperDrive 8x (DVD+R DL/DVD+RW/CD-RW)
* iWork '06 preinstalled
* Wireless Keyboard & Mouse + Mac OS X - U.S. English
* Accessory kit
* 20-inch widescreen LCD
* 2GHz Intel Core Duo
* AirPort Extreme
* Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

You will not notice much difference between 2.0 and 2.33. At least not enough to make it worth the wait.

QUOTE Thanks
caveatipss

Really? I would think that 333 mHz on each core would be noticeable at least?
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

no it will be negligable just go and get the iMac if you can afford it, you will always be out done by a new machine in a few months its just the story of life

Apple, think different
QUOTE Thanks
farmcock

farmcock has a little shameless behaviour in the past

for more speed? I don't have anything I need to work on or enjoy on my iMac that would require anything more than what I have at 2.0ghz
QUOTE Thanks
caveatipss

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflexion
no it will be negligable just go and get the iMac if you can afford it, you will always be out done by a new machine in a few months its just the story of life
But I want in on the front edge of the wave! lol
QUOTE Thanks
caveatipss

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmcock
for more speed? I don't have anything I need to work on or enjoy on my iMac that would require anything more than what I have at 2.0ghz
Maybe it's just my PC mindset lol, but "need" and "want" are two different things. Technically, my 700 mHz, old IBM laptop with 128 MB RAM functions, but it is crap lol.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Actually, that is the PC mindset and that is what Intel wanted you to believe for years. They sold millions of people on the "faster is always better" concept until it burned them in the end.

QUOTE Thanks
iRepublican

iRepublican is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IMAC 20" Intel Core Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss
Actually, that is the PC mindset and that is what Intel wanted you to believe for years. They sold millions of people on the "faster is always better" concept until it burned them in the end.
I agree.

The 2.0 is a plenty,and thats coming from someone who also owns a dual core AMD 64 X2.

Now it doesn't compete in intense gaming ,but for everything else it does the job well.The ilife package is so idiot proof.Its not hard on a PC,but its just crazy simple on my mac.

Im very happy with the Imac,and my AMD is only used to play select games,or run a couple of apps that aren't own my Mac..
QUOTE Thanks
MAC-simus

MAC-simus has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2GHz C2D macbook

If you want to keep track of possible upgrades and such try http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/. they analyze rumors and previous release dates and come up with time of future upgrades. so far they've been fairly accurate
QUOTE Thanks
caveatipss

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRepublican
I agree.

The 2.0 is a plenty,and thats coming from someone who also owns a dual core AMD 64 X2.

Now it doesn't compete in intense gaming ,but for everything else it does the job well.The ilife package is so idiot proof.Its not hard on a PC,but its just crazy simple on my mac.

Im very happy with the Imac,and my AMD is only used to play select games,or run a couple of apps that aren't own my Mac..
Ok, that worries me lol. I am an avid gamer. But as long as I CAN play my HL2, CSS, and WoW reasonably well, I can be happy.
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveatipss
Ok, that worries me lol. I am an avid gamer. But as long as I CAN play my HL2, CSS, and WoW reasonably well, I can be happy.
2.33GHz is about a 15% increase on the sole CPU (ok, each core of it), but as the Front Side Bus stays the same, overall performance increase is just marginal, maybe 1-2%.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

TBH, if you really want a powerhouse mac for gaming, wait until the Intel replacement for G5 PowerMac comes out.

QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveatipss
P.S. Here is what I can buy this month.

Specifications

* 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
* 500GB Serial ATA drive
* ATI Radeon X1600/256MB VRAM
* SuperDrive 8x (DVD+R DL/DVD+RW/CD-RW)
* iWork '06 preinstalled
* Wireless Keyboard & Mouse + Mac OS X - U.S. English
* Accessory kit
* 20-inch widescreen LCD
* 2GHz Intel Core Duo
* AirPort Extreme
* Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR
I have this exact iMac except for the 500gb hard drive (month lead time on that one when I bought it). Actually, it's my wifes, I just like to pretend Like the others have said, you're not going to notice a huge difference between 2ghz and 2.33ghz. The machine is already wicked fast. Just buy that one and be happy with it!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problems with Wireless | Wireless internet »