New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Upgrading from Tiger to Leopard (question for reference)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Left Face Down

This is a very n00b question but it must be asked due to current issues. When upgrading from such as Tiger to Leopard, as in 10.5 to 10.6 (if I remember correctly) what all is involved? It's a stupid question, I know... but what I'm trying to figure out is if I can't hold off until Leopard is out to buy a Mac because Windows hates my guts and will not work for my correctly even on my brand new (2 week old) laptop... ummm, well when Leopard comes out I will buy it and when I put it on my computer am I going to have to back up all of my information?

It's just a stupid question that comes from some research, because I remember seeing a picture from last years Mac... meet? Anyways, it showed the evolution of Mac OS X and under it it had Windows XP and under Leopard it had Windows Longhorn. So it some what led me to believe that it wasn't like a new operating system, but more of an update per se.

So would I really be buying an update for $200? Cause that would pretty much suck... of course I know very well that I wouldn't have to get Leopard and that Tiger is good enough but I'm a gamer and I just can't wait around for games to be on Mac. I know Leopard is going to have the final version of Boot Camp and I'll use Vista STRICTLY for games. It's just something that has to be done for me. However, if I do wait for Leopard I plan on building a Windows Vista gaming PC and using a Mac laptop for school/work.

So to ask with out all of the confusion. Is the upgrade from say Tiger to Leopard more of an update or a full system reformat update/new OS?

That's really all I have to say, Windows/PC computers have wagged some Holy war on me or something this year. Every PC computer I've had which my family uses has had some sort of serious errors.

Thanks in advance,
-LFD
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

As always, one should back up their data before doing any update.

The update is easy. Put in the DVD and tell it to perform an update over the current system. You'll keep the user name, all settings and all files.
QUOTE Thanks
Left Face Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstep
You'll keep the user name, all settings and all files.
That's nice to know, thanks... and yeah it's always important to back up files but it's a pain in the rear.
QUOTE Thanks
techster82

techster82 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)

Also, you would be upgrading from 10.4 to 10.5, not .5 to .6
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

when reading this, I was compelled to post.
leopard is not simple an update like windows xp service pack 1 for example. leopard is essentially a whole new OS, it has lots of new features and is much faster than tiger. it is best to do a clean install, so you would backup your data first. I realize this thread is a little old, but I'm posting anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
petra

petra is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro. Running crappy 10.4.11 (can't remember adminisrator password, nor find my discs. HELP!)

I'm kind of new, and in-between the MAC & windows worlds...
please help!

I am currently using 10.4.11.
but forgot my MAIN administrative password.
am considering either buying the 10.4.8 discs (no longer have th originals)
to re-set everything AND then upgrading back up to 0.4.11 (I think this is a free update) OR purchasing Leopard....

so, my question is:

DO I need to go back to 10.4.8
OR can I upgrade UP (to Leopard, for example) without my administrator password?

PLEASE HELP! Everything needs to be updates (ie. iTunes) but that password is holding me back!
:/
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by petra View Post
I'm kind of new, and in-between the MAC & windows worlds...
please help!

I am currently using 10.4.11.
but forgot my MAIN administrative password.
am considering either buying the 10.4.8 discs (no longer have th originals)
to re-set everything AND then upgrading back up to 0.4.11 (I think this is a free update) OR purchasing Leopard....

so, my question is:

DO I need to go back to 10.4.8
OR can I upgrade UP (to Leopard, for example) without my administrator password?

PLEASE HELP! Everything needs to be updates (ie. iTunes) but that password is holding me back!
:/
you can upgrade straight to leopard without your admin password. I strongly recommend a clean install instead of an upgrade install.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

On the other hand, I've never had any problems doing an upgrade instead of a clean install on any of the Macs I've ever upgraded.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
On the other hand, I've never had any problems doing an upgrade instead of a clean install on any of the Macs I've ever upgraded.
you were lucky there then.
QUOTE Thanks
kellbell88

kellbell88 is on a distinguished road

I understand that certain upgrades preserve files and what not, but if I do a clean install, after a backup onto an external hard drive, will I have to reinstall software? For example, I have things like Photoshop and Microsoft Office. Will these be backed up and restored after I upgrade to Leopard?
QUOTE Thanks
Braxoyd

Braxoyd is on a distinguished road

They can help to reset the password without losing anything
QUOTE Thanks
rodlittle

rodlittle is on a distinguished road

well I just bought Leopard for my daughter to upgrade her mac book pro running 10.4.11 and it just says unable to install on this volume and I thought macs were supposed to be friendly and easy to use !! any one got any helpful ideas?
rod
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodlittle View Post
well I just bought Leopard for my daughter to upgrade her mac book pro running 10.4.11 and it just says unable to install on this volume and I thought macs were supposed to be friendly and easy to use !! any one got any helpful ideas?
rod
Is the disk black or gray?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
rodlittle

rodlittle is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply, The disk is grey with a red exclamation mark 376GB
available and the comment is
You cannot install Mac OSX on this volume. To enable installation on this volume repartition disk as GUID Partition table
OK I should own up to the fact that I did upgrade the disk to a 500GB disk from the measly 90 it had, by copying everything onto the new disk and then swapping them. But that automatically formatted the disk into a journalled version
Im not a mac person but my daughter is so I may have done something unacceptable to a mac
rod
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

No, he means the physical disc itself, as in the DVD.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Streaming Question. | iPhone syncing question - I'm a bit confused on a 2-PC setup »