New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

[help] Just Switched Intel Imac!! But yikes!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Brody

Ok so I bought my Intel Imac 17 inch a week ago and im loving it but!!! there are a few things that have me worried! I use macromedia fireworks 04! and dreamweaver! but my mac just idk its sucks trying to do anywork with these! programs on here! i have been having to use my pc laptop to finish work on my site because it runs so horrible on here! And also i have noticed that copying and pasting just doesnt seem to work the way it should! I use joomla for editing the content on my website and it just doesnt seem to like work well with it! also when i use the remote there seems to be some delay! it like takes a few secs to recognize the commands.. all of a sudden like 10 secs later i walk away and my computer starts blairing really loud!

Thanks Brody!
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody
Ok so I bought my Intel Imac 17 inch a week ago and im loving it but!!! there are a few things that have me worried! I use macromedia fireworks 04! and dreamweaver! but my mac just idk its sucks trying to do anywork with these! programs on here! i have been having to use my pc laptop to finish work on my site because it runs so horrible on here! And also i have noticed that copying and pasting just doesnt seem to work the way it should! I use joomla for editing the content on my website and it just doesnt seem to like work well with it! also when i use the remote there seems to be some delay! it like takes a few secs to recognize the commands.. all of a sudden like 10 secs later i walk away and my computer starts blairing really loud!

Thanks Brody!
Copying and pasting works exactly as it should. It doesn't work the way it does on some Microsoft Apps on Windblows though.

As for the rest I can't comment as I do all my web work on a G4 iBook in ubuntu and never have any problems.

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
Brody

well with the copy and paste if just seem if i hit the copy command it doesnt always copy! Oh and where can i get plugins for the browsers so i can play wma and other types of files! in the browser! cuase if you cant then thats really lame!
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

What "Copy Command" are you using?

I've used Dreamweaver on both the Mac and PC, and my G4 seems to work with it just fine. I suspect what you may be experiencing is the fact that neither Dreamweaver nor Fireworks are Universal yet and are running in PPC emulation mode. Once full universal PPC/Intel Mac compatible versions are released (I dont know when that will happen) it should get better.

QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

None of Macromedia/Adobe's apps are Universal yet. Until the Universal version comes out, they will be painful on a MacIntel.

How much memory do you have?
QUOTE Thanks
Brody

512 but im hoping to buy a gig! do you guys know where i can get it the cheapest at?
QUOTE Thanks
Brody

Are there any universal programs i can use other then fireworks/dreamweaver! **** this is what i bought the **** thing for!
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

You got an excellent avatar though....

Getting back to the topic, I have found no difference between copy-paste in Windows and Mac being a recent switcher myself. Using an iBook 14" and it works perfectly. Pretty fast too...
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Quote:
well with the copy and paste if just seem if i hit the copy command it doesnt always copy! Oh and where can i get plugins for the browsers so i can play wma and other types of files! in the browser! cuase if you cant then thats really lame!
If you want a WMA plugin I suggest you complain to Microsoft as they own the codecs and AFAIK they are not in the public domain so legally noone else can actually provide plugins except them. If you are developing web pages I strongly suggest avoiding Microsoft filetypes like the plague and instead use open source standards.

As to your copy/paste problems I've never encountered any problems like that with any of my Macs so maybe it is an issue with the Intel and/or non-universal apps support. Oh and as Rosetta uses RAM to store portions of the converted code the more RAM you have the better non-universal apps will run (at least in theory, the lack of altivec in the Intel chips will seriously impact any video/image processing powerpc apps regqrdless of how much RAM you have).

You could always buy a quad-G5 I suppose.

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
Brody

Ok but im not looking to fork out a ****load of money to run an application i can use on my pc! but is there any other application that is universal?
QUOTE Thanks
torchy

torchy is a jewel in the roughtorchy is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.

If you want to use a Mac I suggest you take off your windows hat, it's different.
Mac users prefer the way a Mac works, Windows users prefer the way Windows works, that's life.

Most people do their homework before buying an expensive item not just moan about it afterwards.

Spell check is also available > Safari > Edit > Spelling.

Mac Software:
Apple, Version Tracker, Mac Update etc. Universal apps are marked as such.

As a female I do not appreciate your avatar.

~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~
QUOTE Thanks
UncSki1218

seriously dude...do a little homework. the apps are slow because no adobe/macromedia apps will be recoded for intel macs until early 2007. so the intel macs have do use an emulation technology called rosetta. but, most other apps are universal and run at top speed on mactels. as for copy and pasting...you're probably doing it wrong. on a mac it isn't control-c and control-v. control is replaced by the apple (aka command) button . so it is cmd-c for copy and cmd-v for paste. if you don't like the mac and only bought it for design then you should have reasearched a little before spending 1200 on a mactel that cant run adobe/macromedia at full speed. or u should have a bought a G5 imac that can...

and as for wmv files, try flip4mac. it plays wmv files in quicktime. or download windows media player for mac, vlc player, or mplayer.
QUOTE Thanks
pugui

pugui is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac 1.83 GHz intel duo 1.5 GB

I recently made the switch from PC to an IntelMac, I've been running all my Adobe and Macromedia apps with no problems, they don't seem slow at all. Not as fast as some of the universal ones, but by no means painfully slow. You should try to get it checked out (that problem with the remote sounds weird too).

And I agree you should get the memory upgrade, it really helps when using big apps like those in the Macromedia suite.
QUOTE Thanks
Brody

(Ok so I bought my Intel Imac 17 inch a week ago and im loving it but!!!)

If you guys would have read that!!! I do like my mac and i do prefer the way it works!! you guys are really not a friendly nor helpful bunch! i was just asking why! im new to os x so i was just asking for insight! thanks anyways.. I'll go somewhere else!

Thanks for all those that helped.. some of you guys should lighting up.. have a nice day all!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
512 but im hoping to buy a gig! do you guys know where i can get it the cheapest at?

NewEgg has some very good deals on RAM. I would recomend New Egg. Do not buy it from Apple as it will be a lot more $$$.

Welcome to Mac Forums by the way. Hope you enjoy it here and enjoy your new iMac!!

...Dennis
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New Mac Owner here. :) | help on burning files to DVD-R and CD-R »