Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Switcher Hangout (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/)
-   -   desktop variety (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/33887-desktop-variety.html)

fuscia 04-26-2006 11:30 AM

desktop variety
 
how much variety is there in arranging one's desktop, in tiger? as a linux user, i'm spoiled by the seemingly infinite variety of themes and icon sets (infinite, if you include all the lame ones too, that is). i've looked through macthemes.net (jetblack might be enough to do it for me) and interfacelift.com and i see a lot of very nice things. what's the desktop configuration like? when i look through collections of mac screenshots, a lot of them look the same, but this is true of linux screenshots as well. so, is it the limitation of the desktop, or the limitation of the general user's imagination (no offense intended)? thanks.

surfwax95 04-26-2006 11:46 AM

The latter. My desktop is ridiculously over customized and includes a theme (provided by Shapeshifter), multiple desktop pictures (they change every 30 seconds), and custom icons.

It really is limited by the user's imagination and knowledge on customization. A lot of Mac users don't even know about Shapeshifter, Pixadex, Candybar, Deskshade, etc etc etc. There are hundreds of programs out there to let a Mac user customize the way the Mac looks.

Once you do that, you can start editing .nib files, .strings, and .plists to make everything look exactly how you want it to.

fuscia 04-26-2006 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfwax95
The latter. My desktop is ridiculously over customized and includes a theme (provided by Shapeshifter), multiple desktop pictures (they change every 30 seconds), and custom icons.

It really is limited by the user's imagination and knowledge on customization. A lot of Mac users don't even know about Shapeshifter, Pixadex, Candybar, Deskshade, etc etc etc. There are hundreds of programs out there to let a Mac user customize the way the Mac looks.

ok, well now, that sounds like fun. is all that stuff free?

Quote:

Once you do that, you can start editing .nib files, .strings, and .plists to make everything look exactly how you want it to.
this sounds like the type of thing i'm interested in. i'm a non-tech person who doesn't have much call for calculating coin toss probabilities, but i still like to tinker, so tweaking the look of my desktop is something i can get excited about.

surfwax95 04-26-2006 12:36 PM

Unfortunately, no, it's not all free. Shapeshifter is $20, Pixadex is $10, and Candybar is $12 if I recall correctly. There are free alternatives, but like most things free, they don't work too well.

surfwax95 04-26-2006 01:09 PM

Here's a quick screenshot to show you, I know it's small, but Photobucket has limitations:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...creenshawt.png

Ghostshadow 04-26-2006 02:03 PM

www.imageshack.us ;) ^

surfwax95 04-26-2006 03:12 PM

Imageshack > Photobucket

Thanks GS.

Mattlike 04-26-2006 05:17 PM

I wish I could use Shapeshifter on my MaBook Pro. :(

surfwax95 04-26-2006 05:37 PM

^^ See what I mean, fuscia?

fuscia 04-26-2006 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfwax95
^^ See what I mean, fuscia?

i hear ya. thanks for the screenshot, btw.

caveatipss 04-27-2006 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfwax95
Here's a quick screenshot to show you, I know it's small, but Photobucket has limitations:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...creenshawt.png

Very nice!

surfwax95 04-27-2006 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caveatipss
Very nice!

;) , I try. That theme by the way is Ruler Aero if you're running ShapeShifter and are looking for a good theme.

SilverEagle5 04-27-2006 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfwax95
;) , I try. That theme by the way is Ruler Aero if you're running ShapeShifter and are looking for a good theme.

I was just going to ask what, exactly, that was. Very nice. I might have to look into that.

surfwax95 04-27-2006 03:07 PM

Here's a direct link to download Ruler Aero by "Ice Spectre". (Only works with ShapeShifter)

to_tough_to_die 04-29-2006 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfwax95
Imageshack > Photobucket

Thanks GS.

Dumpanimage> Imageshack> TinyPic> Photobucket.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.