New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Safari vs. Firefox

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MUMacUser

MUMacUser is on a distinguished road

There was a thread similar, including more browsers, but I have it narrowed to these 2.
Especially with the new OSX updates, which one is faster / all around better in MOST cases with you guys?

I don't have any extensive experience with FF for Mac, as I've used Safari all my Mac-life.

Thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

Shiira is the fastest browser in my Apps folder. Unfortunately, it doesn't have 3rd party support like Safari. So I end up using Safari a lot more than Shiira, Firefox, and Camino.

So, Safari.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
LastZion

LastZion is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS

intel firefox flies (assuming you have an intel mac)
Safari is very solid now (and fast) after the new java update last week.

I am using safari now more than firefox.

My order: Safari, Shiira, Firefox, Camino, Opera....

Just my 2 cents
QUOTE Thanks
caveatipss

About Safari:

1. Does it support tabbed browsing?
2. Have people written lots of plug-ins, as they have for Firefox?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
youthpastor

youthpastor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveatipss
About Safari:

1. Does it support tabbed browsing?
2. Have people written lots of plug-ins, as they have for Firefox?

Thanks!
1. Safari does support tabbed browsing--just make sure you turn the option on in Safar to use it.

2. I do not believe many plug-ins have been written for Safari as it is not an open source program. You will find more plug-ins written by different users/companies for FireFox than you will Safari.

New MacBookPro | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo |2 GB RAMMac OS X Leopard Version 10.5.5 | iPod Touch 8 GB | iPod Classic 80 GB
QUOTE Thanks
jacostilllives

bleh plug ins...i dont really use them that much anyway. I find that safari is faster than firefox and generally uses less ram...though they both can use quite a bit. yes there is tabbed browsing.

Jaco
QUOTE Thanks
mmoy

mmoy is an unknown at this point

If you want a little more speed with Firefox, you can request a processor-optimized
build from the unofficial builders at mozillazine.org. Or you can build your own. I'm
getting ready to build a G5-optimized build with compiler and code optimizations for
more speed than the official build.

I was going to do Altivec optimizations until Apple decided to ditch PowerPC though I
have some of the code written. Too much stuff to do on Windows first.
QUOTE Thanks
Thad

Thad is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13' MacBook 2.2Ghz 1Gb Ram 120Gb ,iMac G3 CRT 600 Mhz 512 Ram 60Gb Broken iBook G4, stolen Nano

i like firefox because of the flashblocker extension, and i can also ctrl click to get rid of boobie ads on torrent sites, my wife does the same only with myspace
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of

Check out Safari Stand. Does all that and more for Safari. It's free.

QUOTE Thanks
caveatipss

Does Safari block popups?
QUOTE Thanks
dimagex20

dimagex20 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven

Yes it sure does.

It's all good.
QUOTE Thanks
VanillaEps

VanillaEps will become famous soon enough

I was a FF user in XP. I really love Safari - especially the Bookmark Bar at the top. It's a great feature. It lacks the plug-ins that FF offers, but most of those plug-ins can be installed as a widget on the dashboard - like the weather plug-in.
QUOTE Thanks
Meyvn

Meyvn will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM

I still maintain that Camino's better than Safari in every way but looks and RSS support. The rendering engine is better, and it's noticeably faster on the pages I visit (NO placebo effect; timeable without a watch). And Firefox is great, but just can't use it because of its lack of integration. If you're seriously considering between Camino and Firefox, you should definitely check out Camino. Best of both worlds.

'cause when it rains, you know it pours.
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

I agree, Camino is great. Definitely a viable alternative to Safari.

QUOTE Thanks
Jabjabs

Jabjabs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB

I used to use Camino a lot since Safari wasn't the most stable browser around but in the last month or so I have switched back since I found that on my machine Camino was much slower at rendering, that plus Safari is much more stable now that it used to be.

I suppose I notice the speed difference more due to lack of memory.

Mac Life - Apple Mac computers news, forums and more...

http://www.finiteloops.com
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« desktop variety | Accidental Uninstall »