New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

mac AIM

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

synthemesc

synthemesc is on a distinguished road

i dont know how many of you have experience with mac aim since i know iChat is the thing to use but...

i tried to use iChat but it would never be able to connect, so i abandoned that since there was AIM for mac there to save the day. but AIM will randomly shut down from time to time. and half of the time when it restarts it has removes all of my settings which is a real pain. so if anyone had some knowledge on that, or a peachy non iChat alternative, t'would be spectacular.

thankethst you.
QUOTE Thanks
dynetk

I've been using Adium instead of iChat. I haven't tried AIM yet but I haven't used an AOL based client in a while. They've always been bloated/buggy for me. I've been mainly using Gaim before I switched. Here's the webpage for Adium.

http://www.adiumx.com
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

Adium is great, though you should'nt abandon iChat. It might've been a temporary server issue. Keep trying because iChat is a beatiful program and I can't use it because I'm mostly MSN.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
ezhangin

ezhangin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz

You could always try fire, I've never used it but I've never heard anything bad about it.
QUOTE Thanks
Thad

Thad is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13' MacBook 2.2Ghz 1Gb Ram 120Gb ,iMac G3 CRT 600 Mhz 512 Ram 60Gb Broken iBook G4, stolen Nano

*seconds Adium*
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I have never had one problems with iChat ever connecting with the server with all my AIM accounts. Adium is nice if you do more than aim and have friends on Yahoo, MSN or ICQ, but for straight AIM usage iChat is great. Something is wrong on your end somewhere. I have set up iChat for many people and it's always worked.
QUOTE Thanks
macAttack

macAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook

I've never talked to a person who said they had too many troubles with Adium, and didn't like it. I always found iChat a bit chunky.
QUOTE Thanks
VanillaEps

VanillaEps will become famous soon enough

I downloaded AIM on my MBP this weekend. Never lost a connection, but I did experience the settings being lost after I closed and re-opened the program. I'll have to check that out again.
QUOTE Thanks
SilverEagle5

SilverEagle5 has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, I use Adium. I like it a lot more than iChat, because the icon flashes the name of the person who sent the IM when you get one.
QUOTE Thanks
DCraver

DCraver is a jewel in the roughDCraver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac G5

Are you using Airport/Wireless internet?

Because I do and my connection isn't very strong most of the time and if the connection drops for just a second I know it will log off and I will have to log back on. No big deal I guess.
QUOTE Thanks
VanillaEps

I use Airport with my MacAIM connection, and again, no drops.
QUOTE Thanks
thelox714

thelox714 is on a distinguished road

i dont like macaim.. its always dropping connections.. went to ichat. like it..
but i found adium.. also do use yahoo messenger. do luv adium.

My Photo Site.
Other sites:
MySpace
My Blog.
QUOTE Thanks
VanillaEps

I downloaded Adium last night and I love it! So many options, so much more than what MacAIM came with and its so easy to use. I love how it integrates every instant messenger program that is out there and the add-ins are unbelievable.
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

i use aMSN. i like it and prefer it to adium because i can see people webcams
QUOTE Thanks
VanillaEps

Quote:
Originally Posted by christm
i use aMSN. i like it and prefer it to adium because i can see people webcams
Webcams, huh. Any good ones? J/K. No, I'm not.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mac book pro burning my hands | How do I type a path in the finder? »