New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

All Mac OSX Network

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis has a spectacular aura about

Okay, through the help of this board I've unraveled most of my newbie switcher issues, except this one. All I'm trying to do is get my iMac (Intel) to talk with my iBook G4. Both are brand new, OSX. The are no Win machines in the loop -- it's a pure Mac OSX network. I'm using a Linksys "b" system. Accessing the internet is stoopid easy on both machines. But I want the machines to see each other to share files, iTunes libraries, printer, etc.

I've created the appropriate network (I can easily get the internet, the Airport icon shows 4 bars), I've set sharing to Personal File Sharing, Print Sharing, Windows Sharing and Personal Web Sharing (the only categories that remotely look applicable -- I realize web sharing and windows sharing shouldn't apply). The firewall is off. Both machines have identical settings.

And yet I cannot get either machine to "see" the other. I've tried setting individual folder options to "read & write" for others and for a group called "network." I've set iTunes up for "sharing."

I've repaired permissions.

Still Zip. Nada. VERY frustrating. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to be switching to an Extreme base with Express remote later this week, and I'd love for this aspect of the Mac world to be as easy as the rest of the stuff. (I could do this in Win XP without much fanfare using their "home network wizard" -- hate to blaspheme here on the Mac board, but that's what I'd do in the "old" days). BTW, I've run the "assist me" think in the System:Network folder.

Thanks,

Greg
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

In System Preferences, Networking and the Apple Talk tab, have you checked Make AppleTalk Active?

Here is a pic.

Give it a try.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 2.jpg (41.0 KB, 17 views)
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

How are you trying to "see" the other computer? Open up a new finder window and click on "Network" or in the task bar select "Go". If you see nothing under either that looks like the other computer, from the GO menu select "Connect to Server" and type in the address of the other Mac (Look in the other Mac sharing panel and it will tell you what address to use). Assuming it finds the other computer or "Server" it will ask you for the username/password and will allow you create an alias under Network so you can easily access it in the future. You will have to do this on both Macs but once you do it, access will be easy. If you are an admin on both, you will be given the option to mount only the profile or the actual HDD of the other computer on your desktop.

QUOTE Thanks
Daddy Elmis

I thought Apple Talk was an older protocol. Baggs -- I'll try that. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
macAttack

macAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook

i believe its called bonjour now.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Apple talk still works fine. Bonjour is a newer protocol.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Appletalk works just fine and for networking between Macs I have found it VERY reliable.
QUOTE Thanks
Daddy Elmis

Okay, tried Baggs' approach and that worked provided both machines had a user logged on. Is this always the case? In WinXP, the network would access computers whether or not they were logged on; that is, I could get files from Machine B while I was on Machine A even if no one was logged onto Machine B at the time.

Seems less than completely useful to have to have users logged onto each machine in the house to be able to have access to folders.
QUOTE Thanks
Daddy Elmis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Elmis
Okay, tried Baggs' approach and that worked provided both machines had a user logged on. Is this always the case? In WinXP, the network would access computers whether or not they were logged on; that is, I could get files from Machine B while I was on Machine A even if no one was logged onto Machine B at the time.

Seems less than completely useful to have to have users logged onto each machine in the house to be able to have access to folders.
Well, I installed an Airport Extreme Base and an Airport Express remote with excellent results. The process was a bit cumbersome despite the "assistants" and I ended up resetting the Extreme many times to go through the process from the start as the Extreme would be recognized. As has been written, the confusion comes, I think, from Apple deciding not to use industry jargon (e.g., SSID, access point, etc.) and use their own naming convention. I'm certain I ended up naming something wrong or using a wrong password (everything is called "name" and "password" whether its your ISP, the base, or anything else).

System runs great everywhere in the house, but obviously each computer must be "active" (logged onto) for "sharing" to work -- unless I'm missing something. As an XP switcher, this is a bit disappointing as one of the benefits of a Windows ptp network was that you could retrieve a file off the den computer from the bedroom computer without having to go log onto the den computer.

If there's another way to approach this, I'd be very happy to hear it.
QUOTE Thanks
ezhangin

ezhangin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz

I want to know too, I have been looking forever for this answer. There is a solution called Sharepoints but I know there has to be a built in solution to this.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Elmis
Well, I installed an Airport Extreme Base and an Airport Express remote with excellent results. The process was a bit cumbersome despite the "assistants" and I ended up resetting the Extreme many times to go through the process from the start as the Extreme would be recognized. As has been written, the confusion comes, I think, from Apple deciding not to use industry jargon (e.g., SSID, access point, etc.) and use their own naming convention. I'm certain I ended up naming something wrong or using a wrong password (everything is called "name" and "password" whether its your ISP, the base, or anything else).

System runs great everywhere in the house, but obviously each computer must be "active" (logged onto) for "sharing" to work -- unless I'm missing something. As an XP switcher, this is a bit disappointing as one of the benefits of a Windows ptp network was that you could retrieve a file off the den computer from the bedroom computer without having to go log onto the den computer.

If there's another way to approach this, I'd be very happy to hear it.

You can log on and then simply return the machine to the log on screen, without logging out, via the fast user-switching feature that you can enable in User Prefs Pane (I think that's what it's called, not in front of a Mac right now). That way you are logged in, but the machine will be locked and the screen will show the login screen.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Folder structure in Mac OS | Got my first Mac- an iMac G3! :) »