Mac Forums

Mac Forums (
-   Switcher Hangout (
-   -   Just placed my order. Can't wait. (

Turbo 04-20-2006 06:12 PM

Just placed my order. Can't wait.
Just placed my order for my 20" iMac, 1 gb ram (for now) and 256 vram. Man I don't think I can wait. I had a 15" pb 3 or 4 years ago for like 2 months and sold to a friend. Finally ready for a Mac again.

baggss 04-20-2006 06:13 PM


I'm going to be ordering my Quad G5 tomorrow....

slyydrr 04-20-2006 06:14 PM

Congrats on your purchase! Prepare to enjoy the everyday beauty that is OS X.

MJGUK 04-20-2006 06:27 PM


Originally Posted by baggss

I'm going to be ordering my Quad G5 tomorrow....

Firstly congrats to the original poster, I hope you enjoy your new Mac....The iMacs are great computers, I can assure you of that :)

Secondly, Baggss....
I know we've seen the PPC/Intel purchase debate a 101 times here now....But seeing as you're about to buy what will be A) A pretty amazing computer and B) A fairly major purchase on the PPC architecture in the form of a QUAD, what are your thoughts on the choice of whether to buy PPC or Intel?
I mean obviously you don't have a choice if you're purely looking at the PowerMac now....But in overall terms of the old PPC Vs Intel debate and Powerbook Vs MBP etc, what made you decide to go for the PPC option still, instead of waiting for a future Intel PowerMac or going for a high end iMac or something?

Just merely wondered and either way, I hope you enjoy your new purchase which is a really amazing computer, full stop :)

baggss 04-20-2006 07:21 PM

Good questions. You are correct that the PPC - vs. - Intel argument has been thoroughly hashed out here before.

I have been needing and pondering a new machine for about 8 or so months now. I would have had one last August (A dual 2.7Ghz PM) had I not moved, the move zapped my savings pretty hard. My current PM G4 is 6 years old and is really not worth upgrading much more than I already have (1.3Ghz G4 upgrade, 1Gb RAM, ATI Radeon 9000/128Mb Video card and so on) as I am a the point of diminishing returns. The 100Mhz system bus is what is really the showstopper these days. I could wait for the Intel PMs that are sure to come in the next 3 to 6 months, but then I would be looking at a Rev A machine, and I really don't want to adopt a brand new architecture on brand new hardware with likely a brand new chip (not the CoreDuo).

I have considered the iMac, but to be honest, I don't really like them. Now don't jump on me for saying that because they are great machines, but they are not what I want out of computer. The lack of slots and the limited upgrade capabilities don't suit what I will likely want to do on the machine for the next few years. Sadly, the Mac Mini and the MBP fit into the same category, although I like them better from an aesthetic point of view (I am considering a purchase of a Mini to act as a Web/E-Mail server though). The upgrade capabilities for Video and the availability of extra slots make the PM the machine that will suit me best. The 1.25Ghz front side bus doesnít hurt either.

While I understand and accept that the PPC architecture is on the way out, Apple will be supporting the PPC software wise for some years to come, and most software vendors are adhering to the Universal Binaries concept so PPC will have a fairly long life span.

To answer your last question more succinctly, I am getting real tired of seeing the spinning beach ball all the time on my current machine. Yes, I repair permissions religiously and run all of the Cron scripts via Cocktail. I even did a clean install about 3 months ago, but the performance and speed gains were not significant enough to make me want to hold on to this machine as we head towards the release of 10.5. Admittedly, I have between 10 and 15 items in my login items list and these things just eat up processor power and coupled with the 100Mhz bus, itís just not that pretty. Sure I could remove some or all of them, but then I would be changing the way I choose to use my computer because the hardware just canít handle what I want to do with it anymore, not something I would relish. After 6 years, I think itís time for new hardware.

Unlike 6 years ago, I am in the financial position that affords me the ability to purchase a top of the line machine without breaking, or even seriously denting, my budget. Guess Iíd like to go for it at least once in my life if nothing else. If the Intel PMs were already on the street or if I were willing to put up with an aging machine for another year, I would buy Intel, but alas, neither of those is really an option for me at this point.

Sorry this is so long, I hope that answers your question...

coach_z 04-20-2006 07:34 PM


MJGUK 04-20-2006 07:56 PM


Originally Posted by baggss
I hope that answers your question...

It certainly does :)

I was pretty much simply interested to hear this debate from the side of a person who has clearly made an educated and well thought through decision in favor of the PPC architecture and pretty much all of what you say, makes perfect sense.

I decided to go for the Intel iMac on the basis that I was A) Prepared to take the risk of the REV A situation and so on and B) Because I am just the kind of person who likes to be at the front of the movements in technology. In that sense, I know the penalties I am likely to pay for that in places, it's just personal preference etc.

But either way, I'd certainly have no issues with buying anything PPC at all. In fact I have been considering a Powerbook when I upgrade from my iBook, but I think I'll wait it out for a Macbook REV B or simply go for the REV A if that isn't out by Christmas (when I'm likely to buy).

Anyway, enjoy your new computer, i'm sure it will be a beast :)

caveatipss 04-20-2006 08:04 PM

I am 1/3 of the way to my iMac (I am saving for it). I cannot wait! I really hope the next fastest one comes out before I order hehe.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.