New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Networking problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mytoyo

Hi,
I just bought my very first apple computer. G4 dual 1.25 and i'm loving every minute of it, well every minute that it works
I currently have a network setup with 3 other pc's and initially i'm just trying to connect to the internet. I went inisde the Network preference and made sure it was set to "Automatic" and "Ether Net" with the TCP/IP settings set to DCHP and i still dont have internet connection. I also rebooted, Now i notice the router's (linksys) light for the mac's port is not on. I powered the router on and off and all the lights come on for the other machines. I also wanted to set it up with the network so I enabled file sharing and still no luck.

Any help will be appreciated.
-Mabel
QUOTE Thanks
mytoyo

I also switched ports and the light doesnt come on. Will it come on only when it has connectivity....i know that the pc's light come on so i'm guessing the xp os is always looking for connection......well thanks again in advance
QUOTE Thanks
mytoyo

14 views and no reply
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

IronMac is a jewel in the roughIronMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytoyo
14 views and no reply
Im thinking a bad ethernet card is your problem. When you plug the PC into the same router port does it light up. Try running the hardware test from the install disk.
QUOTE Thanks
mytoyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMac
Im thinking a bad ethernet card is your problem. When you plug the PC into the same router port does it light up. Try running the hardware test from the install disk.
ok will do, i asked the previous owner and he told me that he never used the ethernet card. He only used his airport card to connect from day one.

If it is the ethernet card would this work for a considerable replacement?
http://cgi.ebay.com/GENUINE-APPLE-10...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

Quote:
ok will do, i asked the previous owner and he told me that he never used the ethernet card. He only used his airport card to connect from day one.

If it is the ethernet card would this work for a considerable replacement?
http://cgi.ebay.com/GENUINE-APPLE-10...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks again!
Try the hardware test first. I dont think you need a genuine apple card.
QUOTE Thanks
rcltrh

rcltrh will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB

Swap patch cords with one of the other computers too just to rule out a bad cable. Solid wire Cat5 cables are always prone to failure if you move them around.
QUOTE Thanks
dimagex20

dimagex20 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven

The Hardware test has always worked for me in the past.

It's all good.
QUOTE Thanks
mytoyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimagex20
The Hardware test has always worked for me in the past.
Man i'm getting so frustrated

The previous owner didnt supply me with the AHT cd. He only gave me the Software Install and Restore CD.

I tested out the the machine with a different CAT5 cable and still no light shows up on the router. I also read in a previous post that a member had his pins bent from the previous owner, turn out he adjusted one of the pins from the port and everything worked fine.

But unfortunately thats not the case, all my pins are lined up.

Would the Network Utility give me any hints? In the drop down menu from the Info Tab I see Ethernet Interface (en1),(fw),(en0)

-thanks again
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

Quote:
Man i'm getting so frustrated

The previous owner didnt supply me with the AHT cd. He only gave me the Software Install and Restore CD.

I tested out the the machine with a different CAT5 cable and still no light shows up on the router. I also read in a previous post that a member had his pins bent from the previous owner, turn out he adjusted one of the pins from the port and everything worked fine.

But unfortunately thats not the case, all my pins are lined up.

Would the Network Utility give me any hints? In the drop down menu from the Info Tab I see Ethernet Interface (en1),(fw),(en0)

-thanks again
What model is your machine? Try and boot from the Install CD while holding down the option key. You can also look around to see if you can find yourself a AHT CD for your model.
In Network Utility you could try to Ping your router and see if you get a response. I doubt that will work tho.
QUOTE Thanks
mytoyo

thanks for your help IronMac but I decide to buy a wireless router at a near compusa store, fired it up and was online in no time. I even did a little more digging for file sharing and found joelandfaith site. Great site and in no time i was sharing files. I'm a 3d guy so troubleshooting is cool to learn new things but i have to get to work on projects, sometimes its best to shell out cash to resolve a problem that takes to long.
QUOTE Thanks
dimagex20

dimagex20 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven

I was just about to suggest a wireless router. They work very well, and will leave a smile on your face for quite some time. Hope it lasts for quite some time.

It's all good.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« DVD burning program | Ipod video »