New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Apple WiFi

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

FAT MAN GO BOOM

FAT MAN GO BOOM is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook 1.8Ghz 60Gig 512MB

Hello, I am new to the forums and to apple computers... I have a little time on them but that was some time ago...

I have grown tired of windows and the all the wholes it has as an OS... I am also tired of having to use what ever Bill and co can think up...

Apple has atracted me to there computer and I am ready to buy one... I am looking at getting the iBook G4 14" ... I know this is not the latest and greatest but I am on a fixed income and like most money is tight...

I like the looks of many of the programs apple offer grage band iPhoto and iMovie look great...

My problem lies in that all me other computers are PC's there are 3 of them but are all hardwired for the internet...

I want to go WiFi when I get the iBook but was wondering about Airport Extrem... when I use this how do I get my other PCs online... can I use any card that has g wifi or is there more to it... like a program need on the PC to make it work... and if so how hard is it to get working...

I have put me own PCs togather but I kust would like to know what is needed up front so I can prepare...

Thanks

"Evil People Suck!!!"
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

wifi is a set standard so you can just put in any wireless card you feel like in your PC's they will all allow you to connect to the APE

Apple, think different
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

If your 3 PCs are hardwired, just leave them like that. I suppose that you have no wireless router or access point yet. So I would just buy an Airport Express as base station, and add that to your actual network.
That means you don't have to go all wireless (generating cost and work), but can use the iBook (or any other WiFi device) without a cable, which, for a laptop, is the most convenient and comfortable.
QUOTE Thanks
FAT MAN GO BOOM

FAT MAN GO BOOM is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook 1.8Ghz 60Gig 512MB

Thanks guys that helps a lot ... I hope to have it setup in about 2 months... I can't wait...

"Evil People Suck!!!"
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
If your 3 PCs are hardwired, just leave them like that. I suppose that you have no wireless router or access point yet. So I would just buy an Airport Express as base station, and add that to your actual network.
That means you don't have to go all wireless (generating cost and work), but can use the iBook (or any other WiFi device) without a cable, which, for a laptop, is the most convenient and comfortable.
this is good advice

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Recent Switcher: Some Problems (help?) | Hello there! (Question from a Mac noob) »