New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

XP to Mac OS

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

VanillaEps

VanillaEps will become famous soon enough

I'm planning on purchasing a MacBook Pro. I currently have a PC desktop and a PC notebook which both run XP. As this is the Switcher Hangout, I'd like to get feedback on those of you that have made the switch or know of those that have made the switch from XP to Mac OS.

I played with a MBP at the Apple Store yesterday and everything seemed pretty intuitive. The only things that puzzled me were the following:

When I opened a program or application and subsequently X'ed it, the program was not technically closed. I had to click on the status bar at the top and Exit the application.

I'm used to having a Start/Programs Menu on XP. There doesn't seem to be one on the Mac OS. Is this what the Objectdock is for? Similarly, I suppose the Objectdock also takes the palce of the Quick Launch utility on XP.

Otherwise, everything else is pretty straightforward.
QUOTE Thanks
DCraver

DCraver is a jewel in the roughDCraver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaEps
When I opened a program or application and subsequently X'ed it, the program was not technically closed. I had to click on the status bar at the top and Exit the application.
Yes, this is how it always it. Command-Q also is the keyboard short cut for close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaEps
I'm used to having a Start/Programs Menu on XP. There doesn't seem to be one on the Mac OS. Is this what the Objectdock is for? Similarly, I suppose the Objectdock also takes the palce of the Quick Launch utility on XP.
It's actually just called the Dock. Objectdock is a software for Windows that emulates Apple's Dock. There is an apps folder in Finder, and ther is a hack to turn the Apple logo into a start menu similar to Windows, but generally, yes use the Dock.
QUOTE Thanks
dimagex20

dimagex20 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven

Even though you are used to the Start icon on the PC, doesn't mean that you are giving up anything. You can still acces your whole computer on your Mac with one icon (which is much easier by the way).

The ways are:
1.Click on the Finder on the dock (it always stays on there) it is the smiley face with two shades of blue.
2.Click on the Macintosh HD icon in the top right corner (a picture of your Hard Drive, and it always stays there as well) this opens the same window as the Finder, it is just a different way of getting there.

Here are pictures:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_1.jpg (5.9 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2.jpg (7.4 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_4.jpg (76.0 KB, 20 views)

It's all good.
QUOTE Thanks
zeta101

zeta101 has a spectacular aura about

The reason an application doesn't close when you "X it" is because you are closing the window. In my experience, you don't always quit an app when you are finished with the last window/document. You may feel like you must quit the app but you can leave it in the background with no windows open or you can hide it (command+H) and it won't take up many resources (unless it's something of a big app like photoshop etc). If you really want to quite an app them command+Q is nice and quick (also, command+W will close the current window that is active, thats just like "X'ing" it). Many of my day to day apps stay open all the time.

About the dock etc. As you can see in dimagex20 post above, one of the pics shows a typical finder window, in the left pane is a shortbut right to your apps folder. This folder holds all your apps (when you install you typically drag the .app you just downloaded into the apps folder, you *can* put it elsewhere if you want, but it makes sense to keep them all in the same place). If you want to launch an app then you can go here and find it.

If however you find there are some apps that you are forever launching, but are too power hungry to keep open all the time, then you may want to give it its own permanent place in the dock (normally programs leave the dock when you quit them if you have not actually added the app to the dock). Some people have lots of apps on thier dock, some hardly any, its personal preference. The dock can act as a task switcher also.

There are other ways of launching apps that IMO are better however. You can get helper programs that when invoked with a keyboard shortcut, popup a little window. You can them type the name of the app you want (or just part of the name), eg, type "ps" for photoshop, press enter and the program launches. This is much quicker
QUOTE Thanks
ezhangin

ezhangin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz

Looking for a start-menu-like setup? Simple...

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I do the exact same thing....

I even went a step further and put aliases of certain apps in separate folders in the dock. I have things like "Internet Apps", Graphics Apps", "Sound Apps" and so on. It makes it easier to find specific apps and to group things together that would be used together.

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

I just realize and accept that they are two different operating systems. Personally, it seems kinda silly to try and make Windows more like Mac and vice versa.
Part of using an alternate OS is getting used to it and learning how to use it as it is. If you do that, it makes learning the OS much, much easier.
When you try to make it more like what you are used to, then you could very well miss out on some great features of the new OS.
My suggestion would be to stop trying to "windowize" your Mac and get used to the new OS.
Good luck and congrats on the new Mac!

:black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
VanillaEps

Thanks for all the help guys! You are all absolutely right. I should stop looking for Windowisms in the Mac OS. It's going to take some time to get used to but I'm really looking forward to learning the new OS and getting the most out of it. I just love the Dashboard. I was playing with it at the Apple store and there are so many useful widgets! I noticed that someone was running something akin to AIM on their Mac. What is that?
QUOTE Thanks
ezhangin

That would be iChat in my picture, it's pretty smooth for an aim client. A lot of people like Adium as well. iChat comes with Mac OS so are set if all you need is iChat.
QUOTE Thanks
VanillaEps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhangin
That would be iChat in my picture, it's pretty smooth for an aim client. A lot of people like Adium as well. iChat comes with Mac OS so are set if all you need is iChat.
What Mac do you use? Your screen capture looks so clear! Is that a MBP?
QUOTE Thanks
ezhangin

That's actually a PowerBook G4 (I wish it was a MBP, sorta), and i'm using OS X's built in screen capture. Command + Shift + 3 captures the whole screen and Command + Shift + 4 and then spacebar does individual windows. Command + Shift + 4 without spacebar let's you drag over what you want a picture of. When you get your mac you should search the forum for a keyboard shortcuts thread. Real useful stuff.
QUOTE Thanks
MichaelMcKenzie

MichaelMcKenzie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" iMac 1.83 Core Duo / 12" G4 iBook / 3G iPod (white) / 5G Video iPod (black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhangin
That's actually a PowerBook G4 (I wish it was a MBP, sorta), and i'm using OS X's built in screen capture. Command + 3 captures the whole screen and Command + 4 and then spacebar does individual windows. Command + 4 without spacebar let's you drag over what you want a picture of. When you get your mac you should search the forum for a keyboard shortcuts thread. Real useful stuff.
Isn't that Command - Shift - 3??

That's how it works for me..

:dummy:
QUOTE Thanks
ezhangin

My bad, you are right. Corrected.
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs

Command+Shift+4 with a Spacebar does what he said it will do, you forgot the Shift.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
VanillaEps

Well, either way, the resolution is flawless. That's a lot of shorcuts....and that's just screen captures!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Why XP when you have a great OS installed on your Mac? | Just placed my order. Can't wait. »