New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

XP to Mac OS

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Medlin

VanillaEps,
You are right on the money. Once you "de-windows" the Mac is real easy to use. Lucky for me, my girfriend bought a MBP. So, it got her 8 month old PowerBook G4. I had never used a Mac before. But, found that after banging around on it for a couple of days, I can get around and do things faster. Not to mention, I don't have to worry about all the "features" of the windows os. I really don't miss my windows machine. I'm sure you'll enjoy the new computer.
QUOTE Thanks
VanillaEps

VanillaEps will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medlin
VanillaEps,
You are right on the money. Once you "de-windows" the Mac is real easy to use. Lucky for me, my girfriend bought a MBP. So, it got her 8 month old PowerBook G4. I had never used a Mac before. But, found that after banging around on it for a couple of days, I can get around and do things faster. Not to mention, I don't have to worry about all the "features" of the windows os. I really don't miss my windows machine. I'm sure you'll enjoy the new computer.
Most people praise the Mac OS. But, one of the hangups that people mention is the lack of software available for the Mac OS. Has anyone encountered any limitations on the software they can download/purchase for their Mac? I know that Office Mac is available, so that's fine for me. But I'd like to get an idea as to what others have encountered??
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

With the exceptions of games, no. I have yet to encounter anything that I want to do with my Mac that can't be done. Mac software, both quantity and quality wise, has gotten significantly better since the advent of OSX.

Wait, there is one thing. There are some video files (usually AVIs) that won't open on a Mac because there are no Mac compatible video codecs for them.

QUOTE Thanks
dimagex20

dimagex20 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven

There is a widget that you can get called Screenshot Plus. What's a little differentis that you don't need to do any shortcuts. There are four icons.

1. Does a Full screen picture
2. Drag a picture
3. Does a Window picture
4. Does a timed picture, wait 10 seconds and it will take a picture of the whole desktop when you are ready. After you take the picture you can zoom in and inspect the picture better than with Preview. You can then choose to move the picture to the Desktop, iPhoto (or any folder you want), Redo the picture, or delete it.

Plus you can take the picture in any of these formats:

1.PNG
2.TIFF
3.JPG
4.JP2
5.PDF
6.GIF
7.BMP
8.PICT

Here are some pictures. Both of the Full screen ones were done by the timer, the other one is a picture of the Widget.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fullscreen_1.jpg (459.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_1.jpg (12.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Fullscreen_3.jpg (347.4 KB, 8 views)

It's all good.
QUOTE Thanks
MJGUK

Hey, ezhangin....

What program or function do you use to get that menu bar of apps on your menu bar?

Cheers,
QUOTE Thanks
ezhangin

ezhangin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJGUK
Hey, ezhangin....

What program or function do you use to get that menu bar of apps on your menu bar?

Cheers,
Hey MJ, all you have to do is drag your apps folder down there. Make sure you are actually looking at the folder because when I first tried that I dragged the apps folder out of the sidebar in finder (oops!). Once its down there all you have to do is right click and it will make a list of things in that folder. (Left click will open the actual apps folder). Believe it or not someone completely new to macs discovered by playing around that and told me about it, gotta love OS X.
QUOTE Thanks
Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis has a spectacular aura about

The areas of software that, frankly, suck in Mac are:

1) Quicken (made by Intuit)
2) TurboTax (also made by Intuit)

see a trend here? Intuit has ripped a page right out of Micro$oft's playbook in terms of not playing nice with their monopoly.

I should also mention that Micro$oft is also a pain. They were nice enough to create Mac versions of Word, Excel and Powerpoint, but not Outlook. They create Entourage, which doesn't speak Outlook. Mac Word opens any *.doc file whether created with WinWord or MacWord -- same with Excel and Powerpoint. Entourage doesn't open *.pst files from WinOutlook, and this (for many people) is a gigantic PITA when switching from Win.

The Mac's are still far and away better than PCs IMHO -- in terms of hardware design, ergonomics, and human interface. This after 25 years of Win based machines, which I could tear down and rebuild, and make Windows do anything I wanted. Problem was, you HAD to have that kind of knowledge to make Windows work.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Why XP when you have a great OS installed on your Mac? | Just placed my order. Can't wait. »