New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Why XP when you have a great OS installed on your Mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

Nowadays there is so much buzz about installing XP on Macs. Anybody who has experience with Windows might know how bad it is. So why do the people want to have it installed and just waste a big partition which you can use for something more useful?

What do you guys think?
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Well, there are people that still need to use Windows, either because they have bought software before switching to the Mac and don't want to buy it again for Mac (like their games, for example), or simply because they need to use software which simply doesn't exist on Mac.
People who have to work in AutoCAD, or CATIA (just as a n example, there are others), need Windows...and there are other programs on a professional level which don't exist for OS X, and there's no compatible enough Mac equivalent.

Lots of switcher still have a PC running alongside their Mac because of this, and running Windows natively on a Mac makes the second computer useless...
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

Exactly Avalon. I require an XP machine for work and school, but I use OS X for the majority of my other stuff. Being able to get rid of my XP machine by consolidating it into one box would be great! Plus, I have a few special programs that only run on XP that I will not give up, so being able to run both on one computer would be really nice.
QUOTE Thanks
MJGUK

Well I somewhat take the original posters' point......But when you think about it more, you realise that whether you like Windows or not, it just happens to serve some typical functions to people in certain areas.

For example when I saw Boot Camp, at first there was no way I was putting Windows anywhere near my lovely new iMac....Not because I 'hate' Windows, but I just GREATLY prefer OS X and I felt no need for Windows.

Now I'm pondering the idea of using a Windows partition just for gaming. I don't game much anymore anyway, but it might be nice to have the option occasionally
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

I require XP on my mac because I've been DYING to game on my mac. I'm a HUGE PC gamer, and many games don't exist for OS X, so Windows is now more of a need than a luxury...

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me
QUOTE Thanks
jram

jram is a jewel in the roughjram is a jewel in the rough

I wouldn't install XP on a bet or for free for that matter, I got my Mac to get away from the windows environment . I can understand why people install XP, the thing that bugs me is everyone thinks Apple is the good guy, it was hacked and on the web before Apple got involved. Apple new it was a losing fight so came out with boot camp.
QUOTE Thanks
sbatson

sbatson is on a distinguished road

As a long time windows users, I kept and plan to keep my PC for running the windows only stuff that I've accumulated over the years and I don't see the point of committing a portion of my Mac's HD to Windows. That said, I am using my Mac for most stuff and moved all of the tasks that I can over it.

I recently found Parallels Workstation (Virtual Machine) software which has a Mac Version in Beta currently. I installed the Beta and successfully installed Windows XP on it for testing. The install went fine and it works as well as you would expect a beta version to work. It's quite stable, XP is running quite well in it and it's fast. There are some features that aren't in the current beta that will be when the product goes production.

Now I fully understand that there are some applications and I'm going to assume most games are not going work well enough on a virtual machine to solve everyone issues, but for $49 it's going to be quite a solution. I loaded FrontPage on it and was able to work on my website with it. I've used Remote Desktop Client to connect to my PC and it works much better than the 4 year old Remote Desktop Client for the Mac.

With some exceptions, I do expect it to fill many needs with several benefits. Each VM (Virtual Machine) is nothting more than a set of files that can easily be backed up and removed). You can have multiple VMs running at a time. You can run various OS's such as DOS, Linux and various versions of Windows. With the Core Duo in most of the Mac's and a VM solution that takes advantage of that, it certainy has it's place. Also, the ability to cut and paste between VMs and/or Mac OS is very handy. Beyond using all of your software on one machine, it's very nice to be able build up test machines and experiement to your hearts content without worrying about screwing up your primary systems. And no rebooting to switch between Mac OS and Windows! The link to the site is below. And no, I'm not associated with them in any way, I found their link on the Apple Website Article about Boot Camp.

http://www.parellels.com
QUOTE Thanks
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jram
I wouldn't install XP on a bet or for free for that matter, I got my Mac to get away from the windows environment . I can understand why people install XP, the thing that bugs me is everyone thinks Apple is the good guy, it was hacked and on the web before Apple got involved. Apple new it was a losing fight so came out with boot camp.
Because Apple made it easy and released proper drivers. Boot Camp is way better than the hacked solution, that's why Apple is the good guy. Got a problem with that?

As for original question, some of us actually like to game or have to use a windows only program. Just because you don't see a use for it, doesn't mean other people don't.
QUOTE Thanks
jram

jram is a jewel in the roughjram is a jewel in the rough

The problem is they come out with a program and don't support it.. Many problems as talked about here.http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,125393,00.asp
QUOTE Thanks
dimagex20

dimagex20 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven

Yes, Microsoft is out there on the Macs. Boot Camp helps those who need to use two computers and put them into one. Personally, I would not put Boot Camp on my Mac, because if I were to use microsoft there would be so many security issues out there that I do not want to deel with. That is the main reason why I got my beloved iMac. Although I do see Microsoft as a very vital OS to Most of the busisness comunity, and for that I respect Microsoft's OS.

It's all good.
QUOTE Thanks
Game2954

Game2954 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.16 GHZ C2D 120 MB HD Mac Mini Duo 2 GB ram

Well for instance I am currently studying for Series 24 exam. For some reason the folks at the Kaplan and the NASD do not like the mac platform. All of their practice and study guides are on made for Windows. Now would I love the convenience of being able to study anywhere, anytime with my MBP? **** yeah! Unfortunately, to study I must use my home PC. Am I interested in utilizing bootcamp on my MBP? No, but like everyone else that is a personal opinion. I do see that the benefit of using both OS's would be fantastic for some and repulsive for others. All depending on your experience with both OS's and actual need. Maybe once the bootcamp software is fully intergrated in OS X Leopard and refined I might think about it.

Trying to reach nirvana one day at a time... :mac:
QUOTE Thanks
imacdoyou

I understand the need for some who need to have Windows running for various reasons, but what bothers me is that most Mac forums are obsessing over running Windows now. All the Mac sites seem to be turning into Windows users forums. Forgive me as I may appear off base, but I needed to vent......
QUOTE Thanks
slyydrr

slyydrr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 1.83GHz, 1.5GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jram
The problem is they come out with a program and don't support it.. Many problems as talked about here.http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,125393,00.asp
The only reason they're not currently supporting it as of now is because of the fact that it's a Beta. Most companies do NOT support Betas. In fact, most of them have disclaimers that mention something along the lines of "We will not offer support on Betas, so please do not submit bugs, blah blah blah..."

I don't totally agree with it, but that's a different story :p However, I understand why they don't support it.
QUOTE Thanks
farmcock

farmcock has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I need Windows for Study guides and things like that that are put out by organizations in the business world. I'm taking a self study course right now and can only use the 'Flash-card' CD-ROM on my computer at work. These folks don't give a crap about Apple Macs. They produce these CD-ROM materials in Windows. Virtually 100% of all business-type organizations that send out a CD-ROM with info on it concerning their product - it's gonna be Windows only.

I also would like to take work home with me in Excel that can be read on a Windows OS.

I would love to have Windows XP on my iMac at home but will wait until Apple comes out with Leopard - likely the rumored virtualization will be available. Then i will plop down the $$ for a copy of Windows Vista.

I will still only use it for closed applications that don't run on OS X. Any internet use will definitely be through OS X.
QUOTE Thanks
techster82

techster82 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)

Does anyone besides me think that Apple officially supporting Windows on their machines is the only chance they have to gain significant ground in the PC sales market? Lets look at the facts: in 1985 Apple had a 15.1% market share, fast forward 20 years later and it is a measly 4% in 2005. The advertising efforts to get people to switch failed. The only widely accepted product that Apple has made has been the Ipod. If you took that product from them, what would their sales figures look like then? Now imagine that Apple now allows you to order their computers with both OS's installed and supported. Do you not think that masses of people would purchase Apple computers while still being able to remain in their safety nest of the Windows world? The bottom line is that 96 out of 100 people use Windows and may never switch to another OS. The average computer user has no inclination to switch to something that they know nothing about and may be intimidated to make a change. Apple continues to claim that they are a hardware company. If this is totally true, then give your consumers a choice of OS's and watch your profits rise.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iSight Mounts and 3rd Party Monitors | XP to Mac OS »