New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

NTFS or FAT32?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

My copy of Windows is coming in on Wednesday, just ordered it, but when I install, should I run it using NTFS or FAT32? With NTFS, I get better reliability and security, but I can't write or save files onto the windows segment. With FAT32, I get better compatibility and I can write and save files onto the disk, but it's less stable and less secure. Which way should I go? The only reason I'm really gonna use the Windows partition is for gaming.

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Just for the sake of asking how is FAT 32 less stable and secure than NTFS. I understand the whole file size limitation and how FAT 32 and NTFS compare in that area, but I'm curious about the stability and security that you mention. Is Windows less likely to crash on NTFS? Is NTFS less prone to viruses or malware?

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I think this will help explain the NTFS Security part,

http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=63

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...october01.mspx

As far as the OP's question, I would go with FAT32 as it would cause problems for me to not be able to read and write to the Windows drive in OSX.

How much are you going to be using XP on the Mac? Just for some gaming and a few things? Will you be using OSX for most of your work? If so I would go with FAT32 so at least OSX can read and write to the Windows partition. OSX can read an NTFS Partition but not write to it. Windows without an external program can not read nor write to the OSX side.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Got the security bit now, Thanks.

QUOTE Thanks
geekboy2000

geekboy2000 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindingLights
My copy of Windows is coming in on Wednesday, just ordered it, but when I install, should I run it using NTFS or FAT32? With NTFS, I get better reliability and security, but I can't write or save files onto the windows segment. With FAT32, I get better compatibility and I can write and save files onto the disk, but it's less stable and less secure. Which way should I go? The only reason I'm really gonna use the Windows partition is for gaming.
I should know the answer to this as a long time Windows user, but I'm not certain. Here goes though:

Will XP SP2 even allow you to format a local drive FAT32? It may at installation, but from experience, every drive I've added to my XP SP2 box has had to be formatted NTFS. No FAT32 option at all from Disk Management. Maybe it's the size of the drives I used . . I'm not sure. But I recall actually having to use my Mac to format a drive (single partition) as FAT32. XP wouldn't do it.

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

interesting... thanks for the input there...

No, I'm really not gonna be using my Windows partition for much... mostly HOURS of gaming.

Quote:
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

There is a limit with the built in formatter in XP how large a partition it will format Fat32. There are other way to format FAT32 though. Somehow 32GB sticks in my head but I will check to be sure. You can make the FAT32 part any size you want, it's just with XP they have a limit how large it will make the partition.

Edit: Here you go.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q314463
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

thanks dtravis7, I'll think about that...

So, looks like NTFS for me simply because I'm just gonna do gaming, so it seems stabler.

Quote:
QUOTE Thanks
MJGUK

IIRC, when you go to set the partitions you should still be able to define NTFS or FAT32. I think it's when you install it without concerns of partitions that it just uses NTFS as default.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What is a good ftp software for Imac 5 | how flexibile is it? »