New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Need to know about the different IMACS

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dooglla

Dooglla is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac Intel Core Duo 20"

I was planning to give my wife this IMAC G5 20' with intel and looking into getting the IMAC G5 20' without intel...can you tell me if there willbe a big difference between the 2 and would I be disappoint? I don't plan to install windows in either.
QUOTE Thanks
to_tough_to_die

to_tough_to_die will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM

First off, the naming scheme refers to processors. The iMac G5 and iMac Core Duo are different machines.

As for what you should get her, I suggest the new iMac Core Duo. It is much faster than the G5. However, there are some issues.

Apple has always used a processor architecture different from what Windows PCs use, called the POWER architecture, whereas Windows machines have always used the x86 architecture. I'll spare you the technical details (even I don't get all of them), but basically, they're different, really different.

When Apple introduced the Intel chips (which have an x86 architecture), this created a big problem, as older chips (such as the G5) ran the POWER architecture.

Because of this, the majority of the applications designed for the Mac won't run on Intel processors unless emulation is involved. This is where Apple's Rossetta application comes in. Rossetta emulates the PowerPC architecture (how, I don't know) and allows most applications to run on the Intel chips. Although Apple has ported most of it's own applications (OS X itself run perfectly fine, as well as all pack-in applications), some applications (most notably Photoshop) don't run at full speed on the Intel machines, as they aren't written to run on the x86 architecture.

Still though, I strongly recommend the Core Duo. The speed increase is well worth it, not to mention that almost all applications will be able to run at full speed and not need emulation by the end of the year (these are what are called "Universal Binary" applications. These applications include binary's to run on both Intel and PowerPC machines).

I'd use Windows... but I like the Mac OS more.
QUOTE Thanks
Dooglla

Thanks...I think I will get another one with the intel...I just saw one that was cheap to get without intel.
QUOTE Thanks
to_tough_to_die

to_tough_to_die will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM

If price is an issue, the G5 will do fine for most uses, but if you can, I recommend the Intel.

I'd use Windows... but I like the Mac OS more.
QUOTE Thanks
Dillinger-63

Dillinger-63 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.

If I may ask a question along these same lines. I bought my wife an iMac Intel and I'm hoping to run the current Mac Office 2004, my question is, will it run?
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

Yeah Office 2004 will run, but it will run in rosetta (a program that allows Power apps to run on Intel chips) and will be a little slow when loading and closing it.

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me
QUOTE Thanks
Dillinger-63

Dillinger-63 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindingLights
Yeah Office 2004 will run, but it will run in rosetta (a program that allows Power apps to run on Intel chips) and will be a little slow when loading and closing it.
Thanks, and I take it Rosetta come pre-installed?
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

IronMac is a jewel in the roughIronMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

Yep, Apple would be shooting themselves in the foot it it wasn't.
QUOTE Thanks
dimagex20

dimagex20 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven

Go with the Intel Core Duo, it has a much better outlook into the future, as well as more exspandability. Plus it runs cooler, faster, and more energy efficient, a win win win.
You woiuld be dissapointed it you were to go with the G5 .

It's all good.
QUOTE Thanks
Dooglla

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimagex20
Go with the Intel Core Duo, it has a much better outlook into the future, as well as more exspandability. Plus it runs cooler, faster, and more energy efficient, a win win win.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Jeremy W

Jeremy W will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" iMac G5

Quote:
I purchased an iMac G5 in December, 3 weeks before the Intels debuted. I certainly wouldn't call it a disappointment!

Oh, and, aahh, I'm going to have to go ahead and ask you to come in on Sunday, too...yeah
QUOTE Thanks
hollerz.mac

hollerz.mac will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Dual 2GHz PowerMac G5 + 20" Apple Cinema Display

Quote:
Just so you know, this is a complete lie lol. You won't be dissapointed AT ALL if you got the G5, yeah its not as fast as the Intel Core Duo, and obviously the Intel is more futureproof (even though the PPC's will be supported for many years), but its still a very good machine!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New 23" Cinema=BAD | morrowind oblivion on macbook pro? »