New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

iMac running slow

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

playm0de

playm0de has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 20 inch iMac Core Duo

I havent had my iMac for too long and recently its been running slower than in the previous weeks Ive been using it. I installed windows but havent used the internet or downloaded anything while in windows at all, just played call of duty. Macs cant get spyware or viruses while in MacOS right? Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
DCraver

DCraver is a jewel in the roughDCraver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac G5

That happened to me too. Just not with Windows or anything, of course that could be a factor. I have a G5 though. I guess the excitement just wears off and it's really not the whole super fast computer that I expected, at least thats how it went for me. Not to say it's slow, just to say that it's not unstoppable.
QUOTE Thanks
to_tough_to_die

to_tough_to_die will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM

Spotlight 'Disk Utility', then select your hard drive and try repairing the disc permissions. It should help.

Also, in Safari, periodically empty the cache and clear your history.

Always be sure to empty the trash to.

I'd use Windows... but I like the Mac OS more.
QUOTE Thanks
dimagex20

dimagex20 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven

Well, it is not that Macs can't get viruses or SpyWare, it is just that the chance is the same as a plain crash, not all that common, but it can happen. I have heard that there are several problems while running Windows through boot camp, one of those could be your problem, personally, I would never put Windows on my computer, I just don't need to. Plus while running Windows, means that you will have to get virus software event though it is running on a Mac. Same hardware, different software, big difference. So I would not be surprised at all if there is a loop hole going on with your computer and Windows. Hackers have now found a way to ruin the computer of a Mac while it is running on Windows, and you know that they are going to take advantage of that. If I were you, take of Windows, and try to see if your speed it changed, if it is, try to keep Windows off, if it doesn't, well consider putting it back on.

Good Luck, Hope your computer gets well soon!

It's all good.
QUOTE Thanks
dimagex20

dimagex20 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven

Wait hold on, were at least connected to the internet when ever you used Windows, just conneected, not surfing, but just connected?

It's all good.
QUOTE Thanks
playm0de

playm0de has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 20 inch iMac Core Duo

Yeah Im always connected to the net, but I didnt go on the internet or anything.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Considering a switch? DO IT! :) | How do I install »