New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How do I install

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dooglla

Dooglla is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac Intel Core Duo 20"

I want to install ClamXav...how do I get it loadedon my system? Remember this is my 2nd day with this machine.
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

Download the .dmg file from ClamXav's site. Double click the disk image, and when you see the file for the program, drag and drop it into your applications folder. Double click it in there or drag the file in the applications folder into your dock at the bottom and click that to run it.

Yeah, I know, it's a lot simpler than windows. Welcome to the wonderful world of OS X

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me
QUOTE Thanks
geekboy2000

geekboy2000 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglla
I want to install ClamXav...how do I get it loadedon my system? Remember this is my 2nd day with this machine.
On my first day, I wanted to do exactly the same thing, but I held off, and by about day 5, I realized that based on what I read, my interpretation of what I read, and what seems to be the general consensus, any AV app for OS X is likely to cause you more grief than it's worth. Have a look around the groups/topics here for lots of discussion about the threat potential. On the other hand, if you do want to install it, this might help:

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/...19/clamav.html

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

You honestly don't need antivirus for macs... a total of three viruses have been scripted for Macs, and none of them work on OS X, as they were for previous Mac OSs. The only POSSIBLE threat is there is one small virus scripted for UNIX, and to get these you actually have to try to get them... it's SUPER tough to get a virus on macs. Don't get ClamXav, it'll slow down your computer unnecessarily. For more info, check out the antivirus thread in the "Switchover Hangout" thread.

Quote:
QUOTE Thanks
Dooglla

What if I have a PC on my network hooked to Dlink...am I still safe? My PC's have panda av on them.
QUOTE Thanks
zeta101

zeta101 has a spectacular aura about

A windows PC virus will not work on the mac, a virus needs to be written especially for the mac and as blindinglights said there aren't really any effective viruses out for OSX.

Some people say you should have anti virus on your mac if you are networked with windows PC, not to protect your mac, but to protect the pc. Since your PC has the panada av you don't need to bother.
QUOTE Thanks
Dooglla

Thanks zeta101...appreciate the help.
QUOTE Thanks
to_tough_to_die

to_tough_to_die will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM

HOLD UP! What is this?

You guys need to remember that there are Windows users in the world, out of common courtesy, I at least scan any e-mail attachments with Clam XAV. You don't have to scan your entire computer to use Clam, it only involves you choosing a folder.

I'd use Windows... but I like the Mac OS more.
QUOTE Thanks
claudius753

claudius753 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB

Also, clamXAV won't slow down your system when your not running it. Just run it to scan any files you are planning to share with windows computers to help them be more secure. It's not like other AVs that run constantly in the background.

Nathan Sweeney

Don't forget to use the User Reputation System if someone helps you out!
Come and help save lives by Folding
QUOTE Thanks
Dooglla

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudius753
Also, clamXAV won't slow down your system when your not running it. Just run it to scan any files you are planning to share with windows computers to help them be more secure. It's not like other AVs that run constantly in the background.

Thanks so much...appreciate that alot.
QUOTE Thanks
Dooglla

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_tough_to_die
HOLD UP! What is this?

You guys need to remember that there are Windows users in the world, out of common courtesy, I at least scan any e-mail attachments with Clam XAV. You don't have to scan your entire computer to use Clam, it only involves you choosing a folder.
Thanks...I am glad the world have people like you. Really appreciate this much. I can say that I have never touched a mac until now...and this is a new experience.
QUOTE Thanks
iWonder

iWonder is a jewel in the roughiWonder is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.

macs are completely easy.. if you have any questions... even if you think its dumb, no questions are dumb if you dont know.. just ask
QUOTE Thanks
Dooglla

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWonder
macs are completely easy.. if you have any questions... even if you think its dumb, no questions are dumb if you dont know.. just ask

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWonder
Yes, definately. That's what this section's for.

And BTW a Windows Virus won't work on a mac... Even if you get it onto your computer, It won't do ANYTHING (except at most take up a few MB of space on your HD) to your Mac. Because Windows uses .exe files and macs use .img files to install programs, it's like comparing an apple (no pun intended) and an orange. .exe and macs just don't mix, unless you're dual booting into windows.

Quote:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac running slow | Streaming video »