New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Boot Camp Problems - Startup NO HD!?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mfernandez

okay heres the go... i need ALL the help i can get!!!

i attemped to use boot camp to install XP on my intel duo.

went horribly wrong, it didnt install nothing.

and my MAIN "Macintosh HD" was formatted, now when i go boot from OS X install CD 1, it cant find my HD.

i tried to mount another one, but when i did that and tried to install OS X on there, it said "unable to install on this drive" and it had the usual red "!" under it.

would somebody please help me!

i dont know what to do!!

it would be greatly apprecaited!

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Daniel 1989 UK

I don't know how to help but whats happened to you has put me off installing XP when I get a intel Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
mfernandez

does anyone know what i can do? I cant install OS X, because it says my HD has a little red "!" on it. Something about the volume. how can i beat around this?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Ok: Here's how you can get it working again, but you WILL lose your data:

Pop in the install DVD and when you get the first dialogue box, you should see a menu bar at the top of the screen.

Select Tools-> Disk utility and open it.
In DU select your internal harddrive (not the partitions, the actual drive) and click the erase tab. Wipe the entire drive and then create a new HFS+ Partition.

Quit disk utility and proceed with the installation.
It should now at least install OS X without any hitches.
QUOTE Thanks
mfernandez

thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!

worked like a charm, installing right now

i just got told that my xp cd didnt have sp2 on it!!!!!!!

thats why it crashed the way it did

i will be trying it again

thank you again!
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

No problem, better luck next time!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« A Newbie Question! | Switch Advice »