New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Im sort of a switcher as of yesterday.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iBeldar

iBeldar will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '08 White MB 2.1ghz - 4GB- 120GB- Superdrive - Snow Leopard

Since there is no "First Post" forum, and since im new to the Apple world, I thought I would post here. Last year, around September, I got an amazing deal. I got a 14 inch 933MHZ, 512MB, Radeon 9200 iBook for FREE. The only thing was the HD was bad, but I had an HP laptop that went bad, so I took the 40 giger out, slapped it into the iBook, and it worked. Next thing... OS. Ive been trying different versions of Linux, and last night, got Fedora 5 to work, the only one that has worked. So, basically, im new to the Apple world, with an iBook with Linux on it. Now that I have this, I don't think I have a need for my PC, so a friend is buying it, and it should give me just enough money to buy a copy of Mac OSX.

So here I am, apparently since there is no Linux forum, one of the few Linux Mac owners here. Im 15, and basically, computers are my fix. Ever since ive gotten into them, I have wanted a Mac, and I got one for nothing, just a little time and skill. I like cars alot, like music alot, and I know Music + Macs = teh buttsechs. lol anyway, here you go, my first post.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

welcome!

there are a few others around here that use linux but not a whole lot.....sell your pc for enough money to get osx and another 512 of ram and you should be in apple heaven....i guess
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
macAttack

macAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook

dude, thats an insane score for the ibook..grab OSX as soon as you can it rules!
QUOTE Thanks
claudius753

claudius753 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB

Free (and I mean free as in speech AND as in beer) is great!

I've never installed a distro on my Mac, as OS X is unix based and I can use the term etc, but I've been tempted to play around and see what using Linux is like on my iMac, probably try a live disc soon.

I have used Linux on a few PCs and have a PC now that runs as a desktop for the family.

Nathan Sweeney

Don't forget to use the User Reputation System if someone helps you out!
Come and help save lives by Folding
QUOTE Thanks
Jabjabs

Jabjabs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB

Welcome to the club.

As for linux I have no idea how well the apps will be supported in future due to the intel switch but I assume there are many years left in it yet.

And claudius, you can try Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/) as they have a mac live disc and is fairly easy to setup. I had it on my PC for about 3 months, I tried to love it (incredibly efficient) but the hassle of installing uninstalling apps just became to much, I've become weak since I've been using mac's.

Mac Life - Apple Mac computers news, forums and more...

http://www.finiteloops.com
QUOTE Thanks
tenbellys

doesnt fedora 5 looks AMAZING?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Purchased my 1st Mac!!! | Faster iMac? »