New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

B&W picture with color thumbnail...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

corysw

corysw is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G5 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM; Macbook Air

I have this JPG file. When I open it in Preview or Photoshop, it is black and white. But in the Finder (in column view), it's in color.
I guess my question is, how do I get the full size picture in color?

http://comp3769.tripod.com/colorbw.jpg

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs

The image is actually in grayscale, it looks like you (or someone) edited the picture in Photoshop, but Finder hasn't been able to replace the thumbnail for some reason.

Open it in Photoshop and, in the menubar, click "Image">>"Mode">> and make sure it's set to a color option such as RGB or CMYK. If it's on grayscale then see if you can get it to switch over to RGB, but most likely it's not going to do anything.

Try opening it with iPhoto. If it too sees it in B/W, then Finder is definitely just stuck with the old thumbnail.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
corysw

corysw is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G5 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM; Macbook Air

"make sure it's set to a color option such as RGB or CMYK"
Already tried.

It opens in B&W in iPhoto too.
But if I open it in Preview with another image file, it's thumbnail in the drawer is color.

As a simple workaround, I tried taking a snapshot of the thumbnail, opening that and the original in Photoshop, resizing the thumbnail so it was the same size as the original, and setting it to half opacity. Here's what that looked like:
http://comp3769.tripod.com/colorized.jpg
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs

haha, that was an awesome idea. Looks decent, quality wise, too!

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Just Installed 10.4.6 | macs and windows »