Mac Wireless Print Servers
    Decided to start a new thread instead of hijacking my own peer-to-peer thread.

Having read a number of things on printer sharing, it seems that a print server ultimately is the simplest thing to do.

Reading many reviews on wireless print servers, however, doesn't make it at all clear what the "good" ones are for current Macs. I'd be looking for an 802.11 (currently b but soon to be g) print server, USB or parallel printer interface for a Canon i860. iBook G4 and Intel iMac on the system; currently a Linksys 4port router as the wireless router.

Any recommendations would be welcome. A lot of the units I've reviewed (Linksys, D-Link, etc.) seemed not to be very Mac friendly--but I don't know if this even matters if you access the print server's utility via web browser.

Thanks.

Specs:
    ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
    How about Apple's Airport Extreme or Airport Express?
    There both Wireless Print Servers.

Specs:
    G4 Cube
    I'm not sure if this one is wireless in and of itself, but it can operate in conjunction with wireless networks:

http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/server/

Quote Originally Posted by johninc
    How about Apple's Airport Extreme or Airport Express?
    There both Wireless Print Servers.
    I've been looking at the express since I want to upgrade to a "g" system. My conundrum is that I'd want to use the iTunes interface with my stereo (downstairs) but the DSL modem is upstairs where the printer is (and I don't really want to move the modem and printer downstairs).

Also, how does the express work when plugged in -- I thought conventional wisdom was to put the transmitter up high (particularly with a 2 story house). If it's plugged in behind an entertainment center, how well would the signal reach upstairs at the opposite end of the house?

Specs:
    27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    You would need to get two of them to use the Stereo and the printer without moving anything.

I have 1 that is plugged in at desktop level and one that is behind a book case, both work fine across the house. The one at desktop level serves as the print server for my wireless network and it works fine.

Specs:
    ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Elmis
    I've been looking at the express since I want to upgrade to a "g" system. My conundrum is that I'd want to use the iTunes interface with my stereo (downstairs) but the DSL modem is upstairs where the printer is (and I don't really want to move the modem and printer downstairs).

Also, how does the express work when plugged in -- I thought conventional wisdom was to put the transmitter up high (particularly with a 2 story house). If it's plugged in behind an entertainment center, how well would the signal reach upstairs at the opposite end of the house?

I wouldn't know. I use an Extreme but I don't use it with my printer because my printer is downstairs and when the extreme is upstairs I get better signal power.

Thread Information