New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Got my first Mac- an iMac G3! :)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Badger

There is a lot of stuff in Tiger that is eye-candy and some features that need newer machines to work. Also, as lil says, Panther requires less RAM. IMO: Overall, Panther will be a more satisfactory choice.
QUOTE Thanks
wicker_man

wicker_man will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD

OK, I'm going to be keeping an eye on eBay for a 512mb stick of ram. So will any PC100 or PC133 SDRAM stick work?

I have an 80GB hard drive coming next Tuesday, and my friend who upgraded to Tiger is going to give me his Panther install discs.

He tells me that it says Powerbook on the installer DVD, but he believes it will work because he hasn't actually got it installed on his PB. Will this be OK to install on my iMac?

Thanks again!

MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz, PowerMac G4 Cube + 17" LCD Studio Display, 2x1TB WD My Book Studio (FW800)
iPod Classic 160GB (Black), 3rd gen 40GB, iPhone 2G 16GB + Denon AH-C551K
NAD C370 + B&W 686 + Grado SR80
QUOTE Thanks
lil

Memory: check the specs from the iMac G3s manual (if you need one—www.apple.com) or check out the memory supplier sites such as www.crucial.com to see what memory they list as compatible.

RE: PBG G4 Restore DVDs w/Panther: It will probably stop you from installing Panther

There is a way around though and it needs two Macs and I think it breaks the terms of license.

Target Disk mode....

Ahem. But you're better off heading to www.applerescue.com

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks
wicker_man

wicker_man will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD

Finally, my iMac is all sorted and ready to use!!!

I had my RAM delivered last week- 640mb total (512mb + 128mb PC133) which worked fine.
My hard drive arrived this morning (80GB 7200rpm Seagate), I managed to install it with no problems (shame the iMac only has a single drive bay).

My friend gave me his OS X Panther install DVDs (he upgraded to Tiger, so Panther wasn't installed or being used) and even though they say PowerBook G4 15-inch and 17-inch on it, it installed fine. I only needed the first disc, the second is for restoring the PB.

Currently running OS 10.3.3, but will be running a software update in a bit after I have got an ethernet cable running from my router to the iMac. An Airport card is pretty expensive (£80+), so I'll probably stick to wired.

I'm just checking through the system preferences at the moment. Got my data copying from my firewire drive, which looks like it'll take a while (about 50GB of stuff!). Then to install my printer and change my iPod to Mac format, then look for alternate software to what I use in Windows.

OS X looks quite good, I'm just getting used to the navigations and menus. It seems much nicer to use than XP and it certainly feels faster than running on a 400MHz G3 machine!

MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz, PowerMac G4 Cube + 17" LCD Studio Display, 2x1TB WD My Book Studio (FW800)
iPod Classic 160GB (Black), 3rd gen 40GB, iPhone 2G 16GB + Denon AH-C551K
NAD C370 + B&W 686 + Grado SR80
QUOTE Thanks
lil

Excellent :flower: Glad it all worked; you have a decent iMac G3 there now.

You can get USB wireless keys such as the DLink DWL-122 and Netgear MA111 rev. 1 are compatible. I think www.xlr8yourmac.com has a list of Mac compatible USB WiFi keys.

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

You've got a mac that will serve you well. Enjoy!
QUOTE Thanks
edge

Macs have always run great for their speed. I've always said it's safe to think of the speed rating as twice what it is when comparing it to a "PC". So if you have a 400MHz Mac, it'll run more like an 800MHz PC, or even better sometimes.

And OS X is very slick, I think you'll like it

I currently have a G3 400 (tower) running as my personal web/ftp/ssh server at home, and it runs exceptionally well with 10.3.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« All Mac OSX Network | G5 making very high pitched noise »