New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Apple Store - Genius Bar?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jeremy W

Jeremy W will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" iMac G5

Hello,

I'm 100 miles away from the closest Apple Store, so I don't get there very much.

I did happen to be there over the weekend and enjoyed my time there, as it was my first visit to one since owning a Mac!

Can someone please explain the "genius bar" and how it works? Is this simply where you take a sick Mac to be fixed, or can I simply saddle up to this "bar" for some friendly Mac chat?

Oh, and, aahh, I'm going to have to go ahead and ask you to come in on Sunday, too...yeah
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

The Genus Bar is where you bring you "sick" mac to be fixed, but if you go when there aren't a lot of people in the store (weekdays at lunch time) you will most likely be able to sit down and have a chat with a "Genus"

--Cheers

QUOTE Thanks
Arichards

Arichards is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.

I have only had good experiences at Apple's stores.

When I brought my 1.33ghz Powerbook G4 in with a broken key they fixed it for free. It was as good as new and I was very happy. I still can't forgive myself for selling it for a dell which was then previously sold so I could get this imac I'm using now >.< ... The imac has been great though. No plans to sell this computer for awhile ^.^.... But yea, the genious bar is an excellent idea and I've been to two of them in different stores and both provided great service.
QUOTE Thanks
to_tough_to_die

to_tough_to_die will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM

At an Apple Store, the 'Geniuses' are sort of like 'doctors' for your 'sick Mac'. They're free of charge, but you'll probably have to make a reservation (there are usually only 2 guys at the Genius Bar itself, and while a clerk may be able to answer your simple questions, the Geniuses are best suited for complex issues). They can help you figure out issues.

If you pay $99, you can get an Apple ProCare card, which allows you to reserve time with a Genius up to a week in advance, and will allow you to also have them teach you how to work with software you may be unfamiliar with but would like to learn (for instance, I did this with GarageBand and learned a lot from the experience).

I'd use Windows... but I like the Mac OS more.
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

Three words: Genius Bar OWNZ!

They're really helpful and more or less solve anything you've got wrong... that is, if you ever have a problem. I've been running smooth on my iMac for two months, I'm not sure I'll ever need the protection plan I bought...

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How I became a Mac addict | Which XP should I get? »