New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

OSX: Peer-to-Peer & Print Sharing (Mac newbie)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis has a spectacular aura about

Just made the switch from PC to Mac. Long, long time Win user. I had a p-p network in the house amongst 3 XP machines on an 802.11b network so I could share files and printers.

Now have an iBook G4 and an Intel iMac. The iBook is the "upstairs" machine and has the Canon i860 connected to it.

I cannot get the iMac downstairs to see the printer upstairs. I've done the "share printer" selection on both machines, the printer works fine on the iBook to which is it connected. I couldn't find anything in the way of a wizard or tutorial on the subject (a la XP's home network assistant), but I'm sure this is easier than I'm making it.

Any help appreciated. Oh, BTW, I do intend to upgrade to a "g" system and use a wireless printer interface eventually -- but in the short run I've got what I've got.
QUOTE Thanks
Going2fast

Going2fast is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro with 1GB ram

Hey there,
Im new to macs and such and i was having problems with my Printer. I'll explain what i did and hopefully you'll be able to make sense of it for yourself. Might be wrong but hey hopefully it'll help.

On your iMac click on system pref > printer > add
Choose ILP (think its that), enter your computers IP address (eg.192.168.2.???)
Location, enter what every you like.
Printer Que, enter the name it comes under on your comp. (confused? erm what i mean is, the printer on my server is connected using USB, its name is 'usbprinter', so add that name into the printer que).

Select the model of your printer.
Hopefully that will sort it, all being well. Might be something of complete no use to you, hopefully it is.

Andy

Hey I'm Andy, New to the Apple Mac world, Please Help me :mac:

MacBOOK Pro, 1GB ram
QUOTE Thanks
Daddy Elmis

Thanks. Is your printer connected to a print server on your network? Mine is connected via USB to the iBook (that is, it is a local printer of the iBook). I'm exploring getting a network print server, but I'm not keen on dropping another $80-100 to solve this problem.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Have you installed the Cannon print drivers on the machine downstairs? I have my HP printer hooked up to an AP express but had to load the drivers on all the machines before they each could access the printer.

QUOTE Thanks
Daddy Elmis

Ahhhhhh -- hadn't considered loading the driver downstairs. Will give that a go tonight.
QUOTE Thanks
Going2fast

Going2fast is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro with 1GB ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Elmis
Thanks. Is your printer connected to a print server on your network? Mine is connected via USB to the iBook (that is, it is a local printer of the iBook). I'm exploring getting a network print server, but I'm not keen on dropping another $80-100 to solve this problem.

Yeah it sure is, have alook into a 'NAS'.
Sorry i was not much help, the driver idea sounds right though =D

Andy

Hey I'm Andy, New to the Apple Mac world, Please Help me :mac:

MacBOOK Pro, 1GB ram
QUOTE Thanks
Daddy Elmis

installing the Canon driver downstairs was the solution. prints perfectly now. May yet go with a wireless print server because the upstairs machine is an iBook that, obviously, may not always be connected to the printer.

Thanks all.

Greg
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Glad that worked out for ya!

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Automatically starting applications | Mac Wireless Print Servers »