New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Mac for commercial use - good business apps?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

I am starting up a publishing company this year. Originally I was going to have two Windows-based computers to handle ordering, with a seperate server for handling the website and online transactions. The server is Linux-based and is fine, but I'd like to switch the two ordering machines to Macs instead. So, I am looking for (1) good financial software and (2) a customer/ordering system/database. QuickBooks for Mac looks okay, but I've heard strange things about accounting software on OS X. As for the customer system, I need something to track orders, shipments, customers, etc. Your basic CRM database, essentially. I'd much prefer having a couple of Intel Minis running OS X than a couple of Dells running XP for my business stuff. Any suggestions and discussion would be appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
djmitch

I'm not sure whether you've heard about this or not, but if you buy one of the new Intel Macs and download Boot Camp from the Apple web site, you can install and run Window$ XPee (sorry, "Windows XP") on your Mac. This means that even if you can't find the ultimate Mac program for your needs you could still run those needed Window$ applications not made specifically for Mac on an Intel Mac anyhow. And apparently Boot Camp is not some sluggish virtual emulator like VirtualPC, so I would hope that the Window$ applications would work fine on the Mac.

Personally, I'm not too excited about suggesting the running of Window$ on ANYONE'S computer (a problem waiting to happen, IMO), but perhaps this is one solution to consider.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Do a search on VersionTracker for "CRM" and you'll turn up a crapload of offerings. Or you could roll your own using a FileMaker or 4D database.

It seems MYOB is held in slightly better regard than QuickBooks, but that's not saying much. It also has some CRM functionality :mac:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I Bought Another! | Mini RAM Advice »