New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Worthwhile purchase?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ross

I've been a lifelong windows user and I'm going to be buying a new laptop in about six months. I'm weighing my options and I'm thinking about making the jump to a macbook. I'm afraid to spend that kind of money having never used a mac before, so I want to buy some sort of trial machine. I found an iMac for sale and I know it's old, but I was wondering if it would give me a decent feel for what I would be getting into. The specs are:

iMac OS X computer with keyboard and mouse:
Slot-loading CD ROM
Headphone jack in front, stereo speakers.
OS X version 10.1
PowerPC G3 processor
64 MB memory, and an extra 64 MB to be plugged in
6.37 GB HD
Price - $75

I'd try to get the price down, but would it even be worth it? I'm mainly concerned with learning my way around the OS and playing with the terminal.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
BiT

BiT is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 20" Intel core duo iMac. 15.4" MBP, 100GB, 256MB vRAM, 1GB RAM, 2.16GHz

try to get the price down? i think thats a pretty good price, thats a bargain. that looks like a good idea.
QUOTE Thanks
Ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggyme13
try to get the price down? i think thats a pretty good price, thats a bargain. that looks like a good idea.
Shows how much I know about Macs...

So how different is OS X 10.1 from the current version?
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

what is the speed of the processor?
75 bucks is a **** good price
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
Ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach_z
what is the speed of the processor?
75 bucks is a **** good price
-chris
I'm not sure. I'll have to look into that.
QUOTE Thanks
Ross

Heh, ok, the person selling the computer doesn't know how to check the processor speed...and neither do I...so what should I tell them?

Thanks, I really don't know what I'm doing here
QUOTE Thanks
BiT

BiT is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 20" Intel core duo iMac. 15.4" MBP, 100GB, 256MB vRAM, 1GB RAM, 2.16GHz

try System profiler. Did older macs have that?
QUOTE Thanks
Ross

I was looking at the system requirements for OS X 10.4 and it says that it requires 256mb of RAM. This thing only had 128. It also appears that 10.1 has little to none of the features in 10.4. For any of you who have been using OS X since 10.1, will I actually be preparing myself for 10.4 if I learn on a 10.1 machine?
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Ross, I think you'll find that machine to slow to appreciate OS X. I'd look for at least a G4 processor too because some of the applications take advantage of the extra capbilities. ****, you might even find an inexpensive G4 Mac mini for a decent price.

As with most systems these days, 512MB is really the minimum for decent performance.
QUOTE Thanks
dimagex20

dimagex20 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven

I would have to agree, this is a slow computer at a great price, but i really don't think you need to buy a mac to get the feel for it. Find a friend that has one with at least 10.3 or better. Use it for a few hours. Personally, I really wouldn't worry about having to get used to it. Macs' have SUCH a shallow learning curve, it takes only a matter of hours to get the hang of it. Than maybe a few more hours to start to turn pro. It is just that simple.
QUOTE Thanks
Thad

Thad is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13' MacBook 2.2Ghz 1Gb Ram 120Gb ,iMac G3 CRT 600 Mhz 512 Ram 60Gb Broken iBook G4, stolen Nano

"Macs' have SUCH a shallow learning curve, it takes only a matter of hours to get the hang of it. Than maybe a few more hours to start to turn pro. It is just that simple."

ditto on that
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

IronMac is a jewel in the roughIronMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross
So how different is OS X 10.1 from the current version?
Lightyears!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Americain

Quote:
I've been a lifelong windows user and I'm going to be buying a new laptop in about six months. I'm weighing my options and I'm thinking about making the jump to a macbook. I'm afraid to spend that kind of money having never used a mac before, so I want to buy some sort of trial machine. I found an iMac for sale and I know it's old, but I was wondering if it would give me a decent feel for what I would be getting into. The specs are:

iMac OS X computer with keyboard and mouse:
Slot-loading CD ROM
Headphone jack in front, stereo speakers.
OS X version 10.1
PowerPC G3 processor
64 MB memory, and an extra 64 MB to be plugged in
6.37 GB HD
Price - $75

I'd try to get the price down, but would it even be worth it? I'm mainly concerned with learning my way around the OS and playing with the terminal.

Thanks
You did exactly what I did. I bought an old G3 iMac with OS X 10.1, a 333 mhz processor, 64 megs of ram. I've upped it to 160 megs of ram with another hundred or so on the way. I wanted to do what you're doing...get some experience with OS X without breaking the bank. I'm having fun exploring the world of Mac and I paid $69.00 for my machine. Beat ya. :bone:
QUOTE Thanks
Ross

Thanks for all the input. I'm not going to spend time/money on 10.1 if it won't really prepare me for 10.4. And now, with the release of bootcamp, I really don't have any fears about switching. Now I just have to deal with all the waiting before I get my Macbook. (June at the earliest!)

Americain, how are you liking the Mac world?
QUOTE Thanks
slyydrr

slyydrr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 1.83GHz, 1.5GB RAM

Quote:
Thanks for all the input. I'm not going to spend time/money on 10.1 if it won't really prepare me for 10.4. And now, with the release of bootcamp, I really don't have any fears about switching. Now I just have to deal with all the waiting before I get my Macbook. (June at the earliest!)

Americain, how are you liking the Mac world?
I have a better, FREE suggestion for you.

Goto CompUSA, or an Apple Store. Both places have absolutely no problem with you just messing around on their machines, essentially doing anything you please. I went to a CompUSA in my area, and messed around on an iMac for about 30 minutes, downloaded all kinds of software to test out. That's all it took to convince me that dropping $2000 on a MacBook Pro was a great decision. I have had it for a week now, and absolutely love it. Keep in mind, I bought at a great time, as I almost immediately have the ability to dual-boot/virtualize WinXP. If you have ANY questions, or just want to talk about random features, send me a PM, or IM me on one of the many IM clients I have listed in my profile

Give it a try! Can't beat a free trial!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« DVD to MP3? Anyone know how? | Greetings y'all! »