New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

So I just watched Pirates of Silicon Valley

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jaywong87

jaywong87 is on a distinguished road

Is the general story true? If so, wow, Apple had one heck of a history. neye:
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Yes, it is generally true. I think their timeline was a bit off, but it wasn't too bad. The ending was not very accurate though, it made it appear that MS bought Apple out and no such thing happened. Both companies bailed each-other out in the end and settled some long time patent disputes.

QUOTE Thanks
jaywong87

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss
Yes, it is generally true. I think their timeline was a bit off, but it wasn't too bad. The ending was not very accurate though, it made it appear that MS bought Apple out and no such thing happened. Both companies bailed each-other out in the end and settled some long time patent disputes.
Wow, thanks for the quick reply. Why did the other steve (the main engineeer) leave though? And alos, throughout the movie it seemed like he was the brains and Jobs was only...PR. :batman:
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Woz sort of wandered in and out of the company after crashing his plane in San Jose. He blew a wad of cash on hosting free concerts and the like He did some work on the Mac and follow on projects, but his heart was never in it after the Apple II. He WAS the brains of the Apple I and Apple II, without him Apple would have never gone public, but Jobs got investors, buyers and the computer to market. Jobs wasn't even the brains behind the Mac, although he did motivate the original Mac team to do great things, but he created the hype and the market for it once it launched.

There are lots of books that go into Apple's history in great detail. If you'd like a complete list, PM me.

QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Basically one Steve was the designer/engineer and the other was the marketing/PR guy.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
jaywong87

Yea, and since Woz was the main engineer..why did people make Jobs seem like such a demi-God? And baggs, thanks a lot for all the info. I dont really need all the books and history at this point, it was just something I was curious about. =P
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

because job is the hype man, he created a massive buzz about all the stuff that was created

Apple, think different
QUOTE Thanks
lil

Well if anything Steve Jobs is the figurehead who has kept wandering back to Apple whereas Woz has sat on the sidelines.

Jobs is what makes Apple rather unique in so far as there is one person that people look up to as it were that resembles and reflects the company. Microsoft, Apple before Jobs' Return, Commodore (when they were going), Atari etc. have never ha dor don't have a figurehead as such.

Bill Gates isn't the same as he unlike Jobs is not a PR guy nor a salesman. He's a programmer. Jobs epitomises everything we love to hate in a great salesman!

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks
Jabjabs

Jabjabs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB

Quote:
Bill Gates isn't the same as he unlike Jobs is not a PR guy nor a salesman. He's a programmer.
and a business man. When you watch this film you really start to realize just how harsh and naive the computer world was in the beginning.

Pirates of Silicon Valley was a different movie then I though it would be. I though it would be a documentary of sorts, in stead I got a movies about the drama of two companies! It was a surprise I wasn't expecting.

Mac Life - Apple Mac computers news, forums and more...

http://www.finiteloops.com
QUOTE Thanks
Les Exposé

Les Exposé is an unknown at this point

I think its a great movie, sux it is not on DVD (or can u get it on DVD?)

Its as close as movies get to a true story.

Steve is known to have been a real ego maniac and a **** hole.
i am glad he has mellowed
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Pirates of Silicon Valley is on DVD.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Adobe Lightroom | iTunes Library + aMSN N00b problem »