New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Dissapointed with iphoto.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Arichards

Arichards is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.

Hi everyone, I switched to a mac about a month ago. However, there is one thing that keeps getting on my nerves and that is whenever I need to open a file in photoshop or upload one to the web I have a **** of a time sifting through the iphoto folders in search of the picture... It's not like windows where each folder has a name like... "senior year 2006 or Christmas 2005" which makes finding the file your looking for much much easier.

Anyone notice this?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
BigBear

BigBear has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: ibook G4 14in

agreed, i always have iphoto open when i have a photo edit program open so i can figure out exactly when the picture was taken. wasn't to keen on how iphoto has the photos stored but i've just gotten used to it. it would be nice if you could search through the albums.

my apple is bling *tisk tisk, you shouldn't have any bling.. just nice things*
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

Use iPhoto instead of searching through the folders directly. The folder structure is not conducive of searching.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

After losing my iPhoto data base once, I now keep two copies of my pictures, iPhoto and a raw copy off the cameras HDD. They are stored in different places on different drives to minimize the risk of losing anything. This has the added benefit of not having to use iPhotos DB with other Apps.

QUOTE Thanks
mraya

mraya is a jewel in the roughmraya is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB

iPhoto has the option to set an external photo editor, so all you have to do is select that option and it will open the photo in Photoshop. Also use drag and drop, it will work with almost any application.

[is pointless to click here]
QUOTE Thanks
evolve

evolve will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram

I have a similar topic here: iPhoto or Adobe Elements?, if you guys can help.

Arichards I dont mean to take away from your thread...this is just for anyone who cares to look when they finish reading yours.

as far as iPhoto though, I rarely use it. Maybe im not fully understanding the usage behind it besides storing and organizing photos.

QUOTE Thanks
Santos

iPhoto actually has a unique way of storing the images. The only reason a PC has thoughs folder names is because the user names thoughs folders. iPhoto stores you pictures by year, month, and day.

i.e.
2006>01>02
yr>mnth>day

so I actually find it more organized.
QUOTE Thanks
geekboy2000

geekboy2000 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A

To be honest, though I've used iPhoto a few times now, I'm not certain that what I'm about to say is true, but it seems that:

If you create folders (that seem to be like playlists in iTunes), the photo image is either copied there, or linked there. If that's true (and again, it might not be), I'd prefer the file be moved there.

And, again I may be missing something, but it seems there's no way to re-size in iPhoto, which is something I do very frequently. So, I find myself doing a number of extra steps before I import to iPhoto.

But, having said that, though 3 months into my life as a Mac user, I may be continuing to hold on to Windows methodology. Over time, I may see this differently.

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

I think I understand what you are saying "Folders" inside iPhoto are not folders on the OS. They are a way of conveniently grouping photos inside of the iPhoto Application. As far as iPhoto is concerned there is a single copy of the photo on the file system.

As far as editing of photos... I think iPhoto leaves a lot to be desired. It is great for storage and light manipulation but is not exactly full featured. I think of iPhoto more as a photo album than a photo editing suite. I make do my manipulations to photos outside of iPhoto then put them back in. You could also set the default editor to an external app, everyone has their own preferred way of doing things I guess.
QUOTE Thanks
oldnews

oldnews is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0ghz, Ibook G4 1.33ghz, Powerbook Lombard 333mhz

I agree with you, the only time I really care to use the folders that iPhoto puts my pictures in after uploading is when I want to upload pictures online somewhere, or want to use one of the picture of my display pic, instead of having to drag the picture out on to the desktop and then select the pictures from my desktop. I have gotten used to it though.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhoto 5 still sucks | newb questions.... :) »