New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

newb questions.... :)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

synthemesc

synthemesc is on a distinguished road

soooo, i made the switch a few days ago and it takes some getting used to.. i was wondering...

is there a good peer-to-peer bittorrent program out there for mac? I'm using FrostWire and well.... bleh.

is there a way to rename your computer? (please tell me there is...)

is safari better than firefox, or any other good browser?

is there someway to make the mouse ball button open the link to whatever you clicked on in a tab, as in firefox?

is there any way to make the side buttons on the mighty mouse to go forward and back in a browser?

thank youuuuu
QUOTE Thanks
synthemesc

oh, some other stuff...

ill sometimes DL an app and ill put it in the dock and everything but part of the file stays on my desktop and i cant move it, or if i delete it i cant use the app....

how can i put my ipod songs onto my itunes without paying for some stupid program?
QUOTE Thanks
pugui

pugui is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac 1.83 GHz intel duo 1.5 GB

I made the switch just a month ago but the first thing I did was download Firefox, Safari didn't make such a great impression and I was already using Firefox on my old comp and new that it was a nice browser. Still, Firefox does go a bit wonky every now and again (not as much as IE!), so I use Safari when that happens.

The first Bittorrent program I downloaded to my mac was Tomato, but then I found Bits on Wheels and I've loved it ever since. Easy to use, fast and it looks good too.

I'm sure more experienced users will be able to help you with everything else and give you more options
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

IronMac is a jewel in the roughIronMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthemesc
soooo, i made the switch a few days ago and it takes some getting used to.. i was wondering...

is there a good peer-to-peer bittorrent program out there for mac? I'm using FrostWire and well.... bleh.

is safari better than firefox, or any other good browser?

is there someway to make the mouse ball button open the link to whatever you clicked on in a tab, as in firefox?

is there any way to make the side buttons on the mighty mouse to go forward and back in a browser?
First welcome. I'll help with what I can.

1. I use Azureus. Its full featured easy and reliable. I've heard people here use Transmission with good results. There is also Tomato Torrent, Bittorent and Bits on Wheels. I personally think BoWs is a POS but thats just my 2 cents.

2. System Preferences>Sharing

3. Safari is nice its nicely integrated with the rest of the OS and it performs predictably. I've been using it exclusively until about a month ago, I started to tinker with Firefox 1.5 (wasn't impressed before). I like the plugins especially Revealer. Renders slightly faster than Safari but isn't quite as polished as I'd like. There is always Opera and Camino.

4. Not sure.

5. Dont have one so I'm not sure. I use key commands mostly. cmd+[ for back and cmd+] for forward
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

Quote:
oh, some other stuff...

ill sometimes DL an app and ill put it in the dock and everything but part of the file stays on my desktop and i cant move it, or if i delete it i cant use the app....

how can i put my ipod songs onto my itunes without paying for some stupid program?
1. I think you are talking about .dmg's. If so you have to copy the app to your preferred destination or the default Applications folder then drag it to the Dock. you can then eject the image (the white thing that shows up after you open the .dmg) and delete the .dmg file.

2. I never had the need but I'm sure a little Google time will turn something up.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

To open a TAB in Firefox or Safari with the middle (Ball) button on the mighty mouse, go to System Preferences and the mouse and set the setting for the middle button to Button 3. Clicking it while clicking a link will then open a new Tab.
QUOTE Thanks
Smackintosh

Smackintosh is on a distinguished road

Quote:

thank youuuuu

open system preferences, go sharing button and fill in computer name

edit: didn't notice this was already answered. sorry
QUOTE Thanks
twitchymike@mac

twitchymike@mac has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: G4 + Mac Pro 8-core 6Gb

Go look at www.acquisitionx.com for peer-to-peer sharing...
QUOTE Thanks
synthemesc

thank you guys for all the help <3.

the tab thing works great

i tried to DL azarues before but i wouldnt open... but ill try again...

i changed the comps name and that was fine... but i guess what i wanted to change was the "quickname/shortname". like it displays when u click macintosh harddrive, and look at the "home" tab thing..

thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
playm0de

playm0de has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 20 inch iMac Core Duo

Azereus is awesome for torrents.
QUOTE Thanks
synthemesc

ive downloaded azerues twice and each time when i try to open it it hops up and down a few times and doesnt do anything else. i got it from their main site i think and above is a java download link, so i figured maybe u need java to open it but when i click the link all i get is a bunch of info on it and no actual download.... i feel like im missing something blaringly obvious....
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

Quote:
ive downloaded azerues twice and each time when i try to open it it hops up and down a few times and doesnt do anything else. i got it from their main site i think and above is a java download link, so i figured maybe u need java to open it but when i click the link all i get is a bunch of info on it and no actual download.... i feel like im missing something blaringly obvious....
Try and download the java updates from the apple site. just a shot in the dark but worth a shot.
QUOTE Thanks
playm0de

Quote:
do you have an intel mac?

I have an intel mac and downloaded the Mac OS azureus and it did the same thing. I then downloaded the intel version.

heres the link to download the intel version of azureus:
http://azureus.aelitis.com/files/Azu..._Universal.dmg
QUOTE Thanks
claudius753

claudius753 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB

Quote:
thank you guys for all the help <3.

the tab thing works great

i tried to DL azarues before but i wouldnt open... but ill try again...

i changed the comps name and that was fine... but i guess what i wanted to change was the "quickname/shortname". like it displays when u click macintosh harddrive, and look at the "home" tab thing..

thanks again.
Do you mean to change "Macintosh HD" or to change the name of your Home folder (eg "johndoe") with the "house" picture?

To change the name of "Macintosh HD", you can right click (or control click), get info, and just change it under "Name and Extension".
DO NOT try to change the name of your Home folder in this way, you will screw up your account. http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macg...name/index.php details an AppleScript that will do this, but I'd read through that article and make sure you back everything up first.

For BitTorrent, I use Tomato, and Transmission is a popular option as well. Personally I think Azureus is ugly (it looks like and behaves more like a windows app), but it does have a lot of features.

Nathan Sweeney

Don't forget to use the User Reputation System if someone helps you out!
Come and help save lives by Folding
QUOTE Thanks
playm0de

I like azureus because if youre downloading a "packed" download such as a TV season, you can select which episodes you want or do not want. With other clients it just downloads the whole package.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dissapointed with iphoto. | Just little things »