New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

newb questions.... :)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

I like Transmission, it's the only thing right now that's FAST for Intel Macs.

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me
QUOTE Thanks
synthemesc

synthemesc is on a distinguished road

im going to try the shortnamechange later tonight, ill let you all know how that goes.... and if i dont come back, youll know how it went.

i tried to clean up my desktop by copy/pasting folders into my apps folder but when i try to paste it says i dont have the privilages to do so..
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

IronMac is a jewel in the roughIronMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthemesc
i tried to clean up my desktop by copy/pasting folders into my apps folder but when i try to paste it says i dont have the privilages to do so..
Does your user account have admin rights?
QUOTE Thanks
synthemesc

not sure, it says i can read & write, and i changed the details under account info so i could read & write but it wont let me do it.
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

IronMac is a jewel in the roughIronMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

Quote:
not sure, it says i can read & write, and i changed the details under account info so i could read & write but it wont let me do it.
In System Preferences>Accounts, does your account say Admin under your name?
QUOTE Thanks
synthemesc

yup....
QUOTE Thanks
oldnews

oldnews is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0ghz, Ibook G4 1.33ghz, Powerbook Lombard 333mhz

Quote:
soooo, i made the switch a few days ago and it takes some getting used to.. i was wondering...

is there a good peer-to-peer bittorrent program out there for mac? I'm using FrostWire and well.... bleh.

is there a way to rename your computer? (please tell me there is...)

is safari better than firefox, or any other good browser?

is there someway to make the mouse ball button open the link to whatever you clicked on in a tab, as in firefox?

is there any way to make the side buttons on the mighty mouse to go forward and back in a browser?

thank youuuuu

1. I have also used Azerus and it is a very easy to use program.

2. To change the name of your computer, go to System Preferences, Sharing, and at the top you should see Computer's Name. (I am pretty sure this changes the computer's name for everything not just for Sharing, but I may be wrong. EDIT: This may not be what your looking for also since it doesn't change the name of the Home folder)

3. I personally have never gotten use to Firefox, there are several features that I liked, such as the ability to change what the built in search bar uses to search, IMDB, Google, Yahoo etc. Other than that I didn't notice that big of difference in speed and I found that I never used any of the add ons besides changing the look of Firefox to a more Safari look. But overall I prefer Safari.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dissapointed with iphoto. | Just little things »