New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Made the switch and no looking back

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jacostilllives

Hey all as you can see im new to these forums and would like to introduce myself. I recently made the switch from PC to MAC and have to say that it has been a great decision. I had been a PC user for many years and actually owned MACs way back in the day. I used to own a Mac IIc and a Performa. Then switched to PC after that. Now after getting so sick of Windows and everything that goes with it i decided to buy a MacBook Pro. All i can say is wow what an amazing machine. In all honestly it runs just as fast or if not faster than my PC which was a P4 3.4ghz with 2gb of ram. I seriously am never going to go back to PC ever. You probably get a bunch of these threads everyday but im too excited to refrain myself. Thank you Mac and thanks for reading my thread. Hopefully you guys are nicer than the BMW forums that i post on. :-p take care and Mac Power!!
QUOTE Thanks
Dillinger-63

Dillinger-63 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacostilllives
Hey all as you can see im new to these forums and would like to introduce myself. I recently made the switch from PC to MAC and have to say that it has been a great decision. I had been a PC user for many years and actually owned MACs way back in the day. I used to own a Mac IIc and a Performa. Then switched to PC after that. Now after getting so sick of Windows and everything that goes with it i decided to buy a MacBook Pro. All i can say is wow what an amazing machine. In all honestly it runs just as fast or if not faster than my PC which was a P4 3.4ghz with 2gb of ram. I seriously am never going to go back to PC ever. You probably get a bunch of these threads everyday but im too excited to refrain myself. Thank you Mac and thanks for reading my thread. Hopefully you guys are nicer than the BMW forums that i post on. :-p take care and Mac Power!!
I'm new to these forums (and Mac's too) but your story about Windows sounds much like mine (I'm sick of PC viruses, spyware, "Do you want to send the error report to Microsoft" yada, yada, yada). I just bought a new 15 inch PowerBook G4 and I have no regrets at all. I'n fact if the money is available in a month or two I'm replacing my home PC with an iMac G5 20 inch. It's been interesting to see so many switchers, so like the nice welcome I recieved when I joined a few weeks ago, welcome aboard.
QUOTE Thanks
jacostilllives

Yea originally i was scared about compatibility issues when transfering because i mainly use my computer for school work and whatnot. Will all my old files work on my Mac but as for now i can say that everything has been working well. Ohh and another sweet thing is that i didnt know Macs could read NTFS hard drives.. That helped quite a bit when transfering a lot of my files from an external hard drive on my PC to my new laptop.
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

Welcome! your story is exactly like mine, except this is my first real experience with a Mac at home.

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me
QUOTE Thanks
pugui

pugui is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac 1.83 GHz intel duo 1.5 GB

I bought the intel imac a month ago, after using PCs for 10+ years. Needless to say I've loved every minute of this switch All the problems I feared never happened. (well there's the inability to play wmv, but other than that...)

It's such a beautiful machine for starters, takes half the space of my old compaq and the OS is so much easier than windows, I've found. But the best thing is how fast and reliable it is even with the biggest applications open at the same time.

Since the moment I plugged this baby and started using it, I've resented Microsoft and PCs in general for making it so difficult for so long and to so many people. I just want to convert all my friends now! LOL
QUOTE Thanks
Grazza

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugui
I bought the intel imac a month ago, after using PCs for 10+ years. Needless to say I've loved every minute of this switch All the problems I feared never happened. (well there's the inability to play wmv, but other than that...)

It's such a beautiful machine for starters, takes half the space of my old compaq and the OS is so much easier than windows, I've found. But the best thing is how fast and reliable it is even with the biggest applications open at the same time.

Since the moment I plugged this baby and started using it, I've resented Microsoft and PCs in general for making it so difficult for so long and to so many people. I just want to convert all my friends now! LOL
There's a free plugin here for playing wmv files in Quicktime (Flip4mac). Nice to see so many happy switchers .... Mac's are indeed a beautiful thing.
QUOTE Thanks
Grazza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazza
There's a free plugin here for playing wmv files in Quicktime (Flip4mac). Nice to see so many happy switchers .... Mac's are indeed a beautiful thing.
Sorry, wrong link in the above post. That one's for the trial version of full Monty flip4mac. Microsoft have the download of just the player here. Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

IronMac is a jewel in the roughIronMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacostilllives
Hopefully you guys are nicer than the BMW forums that i post on.
Welcome glad to have you. Just curious what BMW means. I'd actually like to check out a few of them. I'm always game for some trouble. :batman:
QUOTE Thanks
dohidied

dohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazza
Sorry, wrong link in the above post. That one's for the trial version of full Monty flip4mac. Microsoft have the download of just the player here. Cheers
flip4mac doesn't work on the new intel machines yet. apple has been downplaying the number of programs that rosetta can't run, and unfortunately it's a significant amount.
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMac
Welcome glad to have you. Just curious what BMW means. I'd actually like to check out a few of them. I'm always game for some trouble. :batman:
At a guess Bavarian Motor Works?

And welcome jacoStillLives.
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohidied
flip4mac doesn't work on the new intel machines yet. apple has been downplaying the number of programs that rosetta can't run, and unfortunately it's a significant amount.
Found this work around for the Flip 4 Mac plugin, can say if it works but its worth a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli
At a guess Bavarian Motor Works?
I thought of that but couldn't figure what it had to do with computers.
QUOTE Thanks
pugui

pugui is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac 1.83 GHz intel duo 1.5 GB

Thanks IronMac, dohidied and Grazza for all the help.

I downloaded the WMV 9 player and it seems to work ok so far. The only thing I've found is that I can't see them using Frontrow, hopefully the universal flip4mac will be released soon!
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

We do what we can. Did that link I posted help any with the WMV? I know VLC isn't native yet but does it run under Rosetta?
QUOTE Thanks
jacostilllives

lol BMW has nothing to do with computers but you guys seem nicer than the guys that post on the BMW forums that i post on. Just making a point.
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

****, you really meant the car. I was hoping to start some OS brouhaha.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Uploading Pictures from a CD | Making the switch. Need advice… »