New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Buying a Refurb mac - Advice please!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wantamac

Hey,

i recently got an iMac G5 (iSight Edition) and im looking in to a second mac. So im going to get a refurb desktop, and when an intel iBook is launched ill get one of those as well. Basically im torn between two options for the desktop! Should i get a 350 Mhz iMac G3 or a 350 Mhz Powermac G3? The powermac comes with OS 9 and the iMac comes with Panther. I don't want to install tiger on either as it takes up way to much space and might run very slow. The question i have is are they going to be dog slow using panther? im only using it for listening to music and surfin the web. My imac will be my main Comp but the refurb can just store music on the network i have. Here are the specs:

iMac G3 @ 350 Mhz
256 Mb RAM
10 Gig Hard drive
Slot Loading CD Drive.

Bondi - 99 inc Delivery

Powermac G3 @ 350 Mhz
128 MB Ram
6 Gig Hard drive
CD Drive.

Blue and White, 80 inc Delivery.

Spec wise the iMac looks better, but the powermac is more upgradable. On the other hand the powermac will need a display and obviously need the parts to upgrade it. Do you think the iMac will be ok running panther and light tasks?

Thanks

Ethan
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

As long as you have a monitor for the B&W I would for sure say go with it. You can easily upgrade it. You need more RAM though on either machine for Panther to run smooth. 512 megs for the B&W is easy to find and install.
QUOTE Thanks
lil

I am writing a book right this moment on a buyer's guide to Macs (along with a second book for once you have made the 'switch').

I only wish it was out in good time for you.

The Blue & White G3 will definitely be the better route for you.

Vicky
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

i would see if you can maye fid a 450 b&w, a few bucks more but i think well worth the price.....unless you plan on upgrading processors etc.etc.etc.

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
maz94protege

maz94protege will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo

Id get a refurb mac from Apple.com or www.powermax.com
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Quick Newbie Question | My RAM is here!!! »