New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

iTunes Library + aMSN N00b problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Going2fast

Going2fast is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro with 1GB ram

Hey there and good evening to all,
How is everyone???

As you may know im brand new to the good ol' world of Macs. I own a MBP and its by far the best investment ive done to date.

Unfortantly im having a few problems, i think its just n00b problems...Hope you can help.

1) iTunes : I have another computer(NAS) where i store all my music, videos and what have you. I dont wanna add them to my laptop as that defines the point of that computer. Just wondering how i would go about adding all my music etc??

2) aMSN : For the life of me i can not get the webcam to work, i understand its a firewall problem or something. Ive forwarded the ports on my router and everything to no joy. anyone shed any light?

Sorry im asking for much, promise in time to help other fellow new mac owners out

All the best
Andy

Hey I'm Andy, New to the Apple Mac world, Please Help me :mac:

MacBOOK Pro, 1GB ram
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

IronMac is a jewel in the roughIronMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going2fast
1) iTunes : I have another computer(NAS) where i store all my music, videos and what have you. I dont wanna add them to my laptop as that defines the point of that computer. Just wondering how i would go about adding all my music etc??

2) aMSN : For the life of me i can not get the webcam to work, i understand its a firewall problem or something. Ive forwarded the ports on my router and everything to no joy. anyone shed any light?

Andy
1. I believe all you have to do is Add to Library from tha file menu. Or cmd+O. Should work as long as you dont have iTunes set to Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library

2. I can't say for sure because I dont have a cam.
QUOTE Thanks
Going2fast

Cheers IronMac, yeah i just went into preferences and did what you said.
Believe everything is working great. Have not shut down mind you, dont anyways.
Thanks again, much appricated
Andy

MacBOOK Pro, 1GB ram
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

IronMac is a jewel in the roughIronMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going2fast
Cheers IronMac, yeah i just went into preferences and did what you said.
Believe everything is working great. Have not shut down mind you, dont anyways.
Thanks again, much appricated
Andy
Ha you Brits kill me with the Cheers. Glad to be of service anyways.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

MSN doesn't support webcams in the mac version of the software - only iChat 2 AIM video chats work really...
QUOTE Thanks
oldnews

oldnews is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0ghz, Ibook G4 1.33ghz, Powerbook Lombard 333mhz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
MSN doesn't support webcams in the mac version of the software - only iChat 2 AIM video chats work really...

But aMSN is suppose to enable the Webcam feature. Unfortunetley my webcam does not seem to work under it either.
QUOTE Thanks
Going2fast

Hey there all,
Whilst the site was down i finally got aMSN Webcam to work.
For those that use or want to know.

You need to do something called 'Port Forwarding'
You need to allow TCP ports 6890 all the way to 6900 open.

eg

6890 TCP 6890
6891 TCP 6891
>>>

6900 TCP 6900

I Hope that makes sense. If not pm me
Thanks again for help received
Andy

MacBOOK Pro, 1GB ram
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
You can also have video chats via Yahoo! Messenger, though the quality and framerate is poor even with a good cam like iSight.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Going2fast

Yeah ive found aMSN to keep most of the quality whilst using the iSight.
No audio tho, unless im being silly.

MacBOOK Pro, 1GB ram
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« So I just watched Pirates of Silicon Valley | DVD to MP3? Anyone know how? »