New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

bt broadband vs panther

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mrdunn236

hi-totally new boy to this-treat me nice!
i am running a g4-panther 10.3-and have found out through bt that 10.3 is not supported with their voyager 100 modem and drivers-and thereis no intention to release new drivers-software till summer 2004!-
does anyone have an idea how i can use the bt broadband line with the new panther os-
do i need an ethernet-router-can someone explain what i need-would be good to be able to use two macs on this line-is that possible-
yours
green,
gary
QUOTE Thanks
mrdunn236

i am based in the uk -by the way!
gary
QUOTE Thanks
sKaD

sKaD is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram

Just get a different cable modem that will work with your provider. Call them and ask what different modems they support.

sKaD
QUOTE Thanks
jonnyturner

hi there, this is my first post (just bought a cheap mac to learn some more on)

i actually work for BT broadband's tech support dept. so if you want to chat then feel free to email me and ill help you out (without having to ring the national rate number lol)
QUOTE Thanks
sKaD

sKaD is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyturner
hi there, this is my first post (just bought a cheap mac to learn some more on)

i actually work for BT broadband's tech support dept. so if you want to chat then feel free to email me and ill help you out (without having to ring the national rate number lol)
:rolleyes:

As if he didn't already ask the question he needed help to.

Quote:
i am running a g4-panther 10.3-and have found out through bt that 10.3 is not supported with their voyager 100 modem and drivers-and thereis no intention to release new drivers-software till summer 2004!-
does anyone have an idea how i can use the bt broadband line with the new panther os-
do i need an ethernet-router-can someone explain what i need-would be good to be able to use two macs on this line-is that possible
sKaD
QUOTE Thanks
jonnyturner

"As if he didn't already ask the question he needed help to"

Yeah i see that but i thought he'd benefit from an actual chat through a messaging program rather than waiting for contnual and delayed threads from me.

and in reply then. no 10.3 is not officially supported although it *may* work!, i have installed it on several 10.3 machines and its worked fine, but obviously you dont want to order it on the offchance of it working!

If you want my honest advice then id forget the voyager, plus of course its not much use if you want to share your connection between 2 macs.

Basically you can use any router that supports 10.30, be it wireless or wired. BT also make a decent wireless router, the voyager 2000, i'm not sure offhand wether it supports 10.3 so you'd have to check.

in general my advice owuld be to just fnd a router that you are certain will work with 10.3, there should be plenty out there, and these guys will know tons more about compatible hardware than me.

also, did you check www.pipex.net? thats who i use (traitor) but theyre a fair bit cheaper than BT
QUOTE Thanks
Andynineteen

Im currently using an imac with panther 10.3, and we had BT broadband installed last week, it worked fine with the voyager 100. we have now switched to a netgear router, but we encountered no problems with the voyager.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G3 iBook +/- | The Big Decision (still pondering...) »