New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Memory usage.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

syncor4

Does anybody know if leaving a folder on the desktop uses system memory.
(ram)?http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/new...newthread&f=8#
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 — Tiger and OS 9

There's this:
Quote:
The operating system treats each desktop icon just like a full-size Finder window—the icon takes up a chunk of memory, and the system has to track its position and size at all times. Drop enough files and folders on your desktop, and you may start to notice side effects (such as spinning beach balls) when you’re trying to do something as simple as open a new Finder window.
QUOTE Thanks
syncor4

Thank You.
QUOTE Thanks
syncor4

Thank You.
QUOTE Thanks
Titom

ummmmm thanks... didn't know that.
QUOTE Thanks
rcltrh

rcltrh will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB

Along these same lines, does it matter how many icons one has in their dock? I have a bunch in mine, even ones I seldom if ever use but just have them there just for simplicity so I don't have to go looking for them. Does this use up ram space or just the ones out on the desktop (which I do not have except for the harddrive icon obviously)?
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

From another source but the same info: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...con+memory+use.
QUOTE Thanks
Les Exposé

Les Exposé is an unknown at this point

I thinks it is be interesting to know if icon in the Doc use more resources.
It clear to see having things on your desktop does.
Does this apply to the Doc?
I know one thing for sure that dashboard widget thing gobbles to much memory if you have alot of them.
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 — Tiger and OS 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Exposé
I know one thing for sure that dashboard widget thing gobbles to much memory if you have alot of them.
Stop Dashboard is a widget that doesn't prevent it from working. Rather than simply closing any widget, click on the widget Stop Dashboard to save your RAM.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Address book | General Maintentance & FTP »