New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Starting Over Again, A few Q's

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

boarderjosh10

boarderjosh10 is on a distinguished road

Alright, I have had my Mac for about a year now and have filled up every nook and cranny of its hard drive and it has begun to kind of lag a lot. I want to backup a lot of things and then reformat the hardrive. I have a few questions before I go about doing this:

1. I backup my iTunes library on an external hardrive a lot, but its a manual backup, I dont use an application that compresses it to one file, I just copy the iTunes library folder to another drive. Everytime I delete an artist from my library, I delete it permanently, knowing that I still have them saved on the external drive. So if I deleted a folder called AC/DC from my regular itunes folder, when I copy my iTunes folder to the backup, it asks me if I want to replace the folder called iTunes, Will it delete the folder called ac/dc already in the backup, since it isnt in the folder I am copying over.

2. How do I reformat my drive?

3. How do I reinstall tiger, when I bought my mac it came with 10.3 but then tiger came out the day after and I got it for 9.99 and had to install it after I started using my mac, I think its an upgrade version, does that matter? Do I install 10.3 and upgrade it again to tiger?

4. Am I stupid for doing this?

-Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

1: I have no clue what you're talking about
2: I'm hitting a memory block here what does reformat mean?
3: No. Just pop in the tiger disc, wipe it clean with the disk utility, and reinstall Tiger.
4: No, this is the point of Switchover Hangout.

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

what exactly do you have on your disk? is it full of mp3's, video files, movies??? instead of backing up on your hard disk maybe you would want to just store everything on it (if you need another drive i am selling one if you wanna search my name in the buy/sell/trade forum.)

having a maxed out hard drive is almost as bad as putting it in a fireplace. it needs to reshuffle its contents and gets so much wear and tear that it shortens the life of the drive. so whatever your going to do do it in the next few weeks and not next year.

how big is your hard disk and what kind of mac do you have? maybe it is time for an upgrade to a larger internal drive. anyway, back to your questions

1) yea i dont know what you are talking about either
2) insert your osx disk, restart, hold down c and it will boot to the disk and ask you installation questions, you can reformat and install from there, or archive and install(backs up all your stuff and puts a fresh install of the os on your drive)
3)no, just use your most current disk and do what i said above
4)yes!!!!! im just kidding. you are in the switcher hangout, ask away and we will answer within a short while. lots of people who know their stuff on this board.

good luck
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
Tiranis

Ok, most of the questions were answered, now regarding the first one: yes, OS X will overwrite the folder completely, deleting all the previous stuff stored in it. It does just what it says, it replaces.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Trouble Shooting for my G5 | Browser Comparison »