New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Transferring Files Between Macs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

scubagal

scubagal is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PB G4. 15" 512MB RAM & EMac G4 superdrive

Hi everyone. I would like to transfer my iTunes library from my PB to my eMac. Is there a way to do this without burning them all onto disks first?
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

Are they both connected?
QUOTE Thanks
Kar98

Kar98 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubagal
Hi everyone. I would like to transfer my iTunes library from my PB to my eMac. Is there a way to do this without burning them all onto disks first?
You could connect the 2 computers directly, with a firewire cable, or over a LAN, if you have one, and isn't there a way to make the PB pretend it's an external harddrive?

I has a signijer.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

send them to yourself through aim, connect one as a firewire hard disk mode,

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

Easy way.... Get transmit on the machine you are copying to. On the machine you are copying from turn on remote login in the sharing preference pane.

Point transmit to the address of the other mchine using sftp and the appropriate user name and password. Then copy from one to the other.

Alternatively you could activate windows sharing but I dinf sftp to be esier and more reliable, if a bit slower.
QUOTE Thanks
scubagal

Yes, they are both connected wirelessly to a Belkin54g router. Although I can connect them with cables if need be. I do have a wirewire cable but do not know how to perform the steps that have been mentioned in the above replies. i am willing to try if someone is willing to walk me thru step-by-step. thank you all for the feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

Since you already have a firewire cable boot the PB in firewire mode:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58583

Then connect it to your iMac using the firewire cable. At that stage you PB will be a big, expensive, firewire drive. Just copy the iTunes folder over as you would any other folder.

If that does not work for you or you need more specific directions let us know and we can try and help or explain one of the other methods.
QUOTE Thanks
scubagal

okay, i'll give it a try. i'll post back with the results. does it matter if the firewire is a slower speed than the Macs? i have a 4 pin to 4 pin cable, the link above says to use 6 pin to 6 pin. i assume that is what i must have and that the 4 pin will not work.
QUOTE Thanks
rcltrh

rcltrh will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB

If they are both on wireless and connected at the same time, just open finder from the computer that has your tunes on it, click network, browse across to servers and see if you can find the one from the other, then connect to it then open the public drop box folder and drop all your stuff (folders, files, etc) into that folder. Then go to the other computer, open finder, click your username, find the public folder, and inside it will be the drop box that has all your stuff. Drag it all out to wherever you want it to go.
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

I assume you are asking if you can connect a FW400 PB to a FW800 port on your other Mac? If that is what you mean then it is fine. FW800 is backwards compatible as long as you have a cable with the correct connectors.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

i think it wont work because i dont think the 4 to 4 pin cable will fit

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
scubagal

I tried using the finder but so far it isn't working. I am told that I do not have rights to the dropbox. I will keep trying.
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

You need to activate personal file sharing for the drop box to work I believe.

to go from FW400 to FW800 you need a cable with the correct ends or an adapter end peice, but it does work. The reason I lean towards this is that it will be much faster if the amount of data is significant. SFTP/SMB is my second choice, followed by personal sfile sharing (which honestly I don't like, but i can not say I have a good reason to.)
QUOTE Thanks
scubagal

The firewire thing is not working for me. The PB is showing up as external device just like it is supposed to but, I have hit a wall. When I double click the FW device on the eMac to access the files, it is actually calling up the files from the eMac instead of the PB. The PB is supposed to be the external device. It is my iTunes library has the files I want to transfer from the PB to the eMac, so what am I doing wrong.
QUOTE Thanks
rcltrh

rcltrh will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB

Just turn on file sharing in the sharing section of system prefs of the computer you are putting stuff on (or both wouldn't hurt anything), then connect to it thru network - it will ask you for the password if there is one (1st 8 letters of the username and password) then it will create a mount on your desktop to access. If you got the password setup right you will have full access to everything on the other one and can just drag and drop to the folders themselves, otherwise if you dont get the password right you can still drop it in the drop box and it will tell you that you dont have access to see what happened - but it will go ahead and drop it there anyway - go to the one you are attempting to drop onto and look in the public drop folder and see if you havent already got some stuff there.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Oddity: everything works but the dekstop? | Got new PowerBook, few questions »