Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    20 inch iMac Core Duo
    Uninstalling programs
    Can I just drag the icon off the dock into the trash? Whats the right way to do it?

Specs:
    i dont have no mac's
    in order to delete a program you want to go into your applications folder and then drag the file or folder containing the files into the trash. then drag your dock icon onto your desktop and watch as it turns into a puff of smoke. then empty your garbage
    MoTM honor roll...
    when?
    i dont remember

Specs:
    20 inch iMac Core Duo
    Thanks a lot.

Is there a better way then that, surely that cant properly remove everything?

i think every app should have a unistaller or Apple should make a uninstall utility

Specs:
    Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
    that truely is all of it... everything is stored in that program file, and if you don't believe me you can right click on the file and click so package contents.. everything the program needs is in there... it does write one library preference file but you don't need to worry about that as it can not cause problem and takes up almost no space.. if you absolutely want to delete it you can do so by going to library/prefferences
    My Website
    Blog
    I love my hosting company!
    I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006

Specs:
    iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
    Welcome to the easy world of mac.

No opening your control panel, opening program applications, waiting FOREVER for the system to make a count of all the programs, hitting the "uninstall" button, waiting ten minutes for the system just to prepare the uninstall, and restarting your computer.

Just drag it into the trash can.
    the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote Originally Posted by Super_boy22
    i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me

Specs:
    3.4 Ghz i7 27 in iMac (2012), 3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone 6+
    Quote Originally Posted by applepissue

i think every app should have a unistaller or Apple should make a uninstall utility
    After having read another thread where you posted pretty much this same statement, it appears that you are upset because uninstalling an App it too easy. That has to be the dumbest thing I have heard in a while. In fact, you called the process of simply dragging an App to the trash and emptying "silly and Lame" IIRC. I wonder if you have any clue how stupid that statement makes you sound. Apple doesn't include an unistaller utility because, and this is the key, none is needed

There are a few things left when you do this, but they have no impact on the system. Things such as Prefs or .plst files may be left behind, but they don't interfere with anything else and simply take up a bit of space on the drive. The fact is that simply dragging and dropping IS the easiest and most efficient way to get rid of a program on a Mac, and no uninstaller is required because of the nature of the system and the fact that Apps don't throw files hither and yon over the OS like they do in Windows. Some Apps do include uninstaller, but they are not required, they are simply a hold over from the Windows version of an App, and the designers have opted to port them with the App so rocket scientist such as yourself can feel better when uninstalling an App, the rest of us just drag, drop, empty and go.

Specs:
    Intel mini early 2011 4GB
    Uninstalling programs
    I hope this isn't a dumb question, but if it is please bear with me. I'm not yet a Mac user, but will be buying one soon.

Can someone comment on the quote from this web site please ....

http://www.macworld.com/2005/01/feat...port/index.php

"In the case of Norton Personal Firewall, we were able to stop the memory process but unable to remove the program from the hard drive. However, even Norton’s own uninstaller could not remove the program; we had to download a new uninstaller from the Symantec support site."

How can a program file be hard to remove, unless the installation made some (permanent?) change to the OS?

Specs:
    Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
    Norton is not a good application at all and I would not recommend it. Norton is one of those programs that embeds itself in the os. It changes things on the menu bar, adds stuff the the preferences pane, starts its self at start up with out you asking it too. etc, etc. It can be un-installed but like they said you really need to download the new un-installer for that to happen other wise is permanently on your system. They did a really bad job making that software, and its the same way with anything from them, windows or non-windows.
    My Website
    Blog
    I love my hosting company!
    I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006

Specs:
    17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram
    Quote Originally Posted by BlindingLights
    No opening your control panel, opening program applications, waiting FOREVER for the system to make a count of all the programs, hitting the "uninstall" button, waiting ten minutes for the system just to prepare the uninstall, and restarting your computer.

Just drag it into the trash can.
    I love it!. Simplicity.

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OS10.12, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OS10.12 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Norton way back when was a very good product. I don't know when they really went bad, but for sure 2003 on the PC had problems, and the uninstaller broke the registery on a few systems I had to fix causing Winsock to stop working and no internet! I stopped using Norton ever since that day and will never use it again.

Specs:
    iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
    Wait a minute, why would you need Norton on Macs? To protect yourself from what... THREE VIRUSES?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I've been using my mac without Norton and what do I have? NOTHING! I'm completely clean, buddy.

Plus, around 2003, Symantec's antivirus went WAAAAAAY downhill. But, It's still better than McAffee... lol
    the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote Originally Posted by Super_boy22
    i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me

Specs:
    Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2
    Quote Originally Posted by applepissue

LOL, did applepissue get banned for /that/?
    I has a signijer.

Kokopelli
    Quote Originally Posted by Kar98
    LOL, did applepissue get banned for /that/?
    Ouch, did not notice he was banned. <shrug> I did not see anything that merited banning, or even censure in my opinion. Maybe the moderators deleted the offending post?

Specs:
    Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokopelli
    Ouch, did not notice he was banned. <shrug> I did not see anything that merited banning, or even censure in my opinion. Maybe the moderators deleted the offending post?
    Nah, turns out he babbled endlessly about the same topic in some other thread where he was much more, uhm, outspoken? about the the lack of a more complex uninstall routine and that his "networking guys" all use W. etc etc
    I has a signijer.

Thread Information