New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Uninstalling programs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

playm0de

playm0de has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 20 inch iMac Core Duo

Can I just drag the icon off the dock into the trash? Whats the right way to do it?
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

in order to delete a program you want to go into your applications folder and then drag the file or folder containing the files into the trash. then drag your dock icon onto your desktop and watch as it turns into a puff of smoke. then empty your garbage

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
playm0de

playm0de has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 20 inch iMac Core Duo

Thanks a lot.
QUOTE Thanks
applepissue

applepissue is an unknown at this point

Is there a better way then that, surely that cant properly remove everything?

i think every app should have a unistaller or Apple should make a uninstall utility
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

that truely is all of it... everything is stored in that program file, and if you don't believe me you can right click on the file and click so package contents.. everything the program needs is in there... it does write one library preference file but you don't need to worry about that as it can not cause problem and takes up almost no space.. if you absolutely want to delete it you can do so by going to library/prefferences

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

Welcome to the easy world of mac.

No opening your control panel, opening program applications, waiting FOREVER for the system to make a count of all the programs, hitting the "uninstall" button, waiting ten minutes for the system just to prepare the uninstall, and restarting your computer.

Just drag it into the trash can.

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by applepissue

i think every app should have a unistaller or Apple should make a uninstall utility
After having read another thread where you posted pretty much this same statement, it appears that you are upset because uninstalling an App it too easy. That has to be the dumbest thing I have heard in a while. In fact, you called the process of simply dragging an App to the trash and emptying "silly and Lame" IIRC. I wonder if you have any clue how stupid that statement makes you sound. Apple doesn't include an unistaller utility because, and this is the key, none is needed

There are a few things left when you do this, but they have no impact on the system. Things such as Prefs or .plst files may be left behind, but they don't interfere with anything else and simply take up a bit of space on the drive. The fact is that simply dragging and dropping IS the easiest and most efficient way to get rid of a program on a Mac, and no uninstaller is required because of the nature of the system and the fact that Apps don't throw files hither and yon over the OS like they do in Windows. Some Apps do include uninstaller, but they are not required, they are simply a hold over from the Windows version of an App, and the designers have opted to port them with the App so rocket scientist such as yourself can feel better when uninstalling an App, the rest of us just drag, drop, empty and go.

QUOTE Thanks
hagen

hagen is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel mini early 2011 4GB

I hope this isn't a dumb question, but if it is please bear with me. I'm not yet a Mac user, but will be buying one soon.

Can someone comment on the quote from this web site please ....

http://www.macworld.com/2005/01/feat...port/index.php

"In the case of Norton Personal Firewall, we were able to stop the memory process but unable to remove the program from the hard drive. However, even Norton’s own uninstaller could not remove the program; we had to download a new uninstaller from the Symantec support site."

How can a program file be hard to remove, unless the installation made some (permanent?) change to the OS?
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Norton is not a good application at all and I would not recommend it. Norton is one of those programs that embeds itself in the os. It changes things on the menu bar, adds stuff the the preferences pane, starts its self at start up with out you asking it too. etc, etc. It can be un-installed but like they said you really need to download the new un-installer for that to happen other wise is permanently on your system. They did a really bad job making that software, and its the same way with anything from them, windows or non-windows.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
evolve

evolve will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindingLights
No opening your control panel, opening program applications, waiting FOREVER for the system to make a count of all the programs, hitting the "uninstall" button, waiting ten minutes for the system just to prepare the uninstall, and restarting your computer.

Just drag it into the trash can.
I love it!. Simplicity.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Norton way back when was a very good product. I don't know when they really went bad, but for sure 2003 on the PC had problems, and the uninstaller broke the registery on a few systems I had to fix causing Winsock to stop working and no internet! I stopped using Norton ever since that day and will never use it again.
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

Wait a minute, why would you need Norton on Macs? To protect yourself from what... THREE VIRUSES?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I've been using my mac without Norton and what do I have? NOTHING! I'm completely clean, buddy.

Plus, around 2003, Symantec's antivirus went WAAAAAAY downhill. But, It's still better than McAffee... lol

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me
QUOTE Thanks
Kar98

Kar98 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by applepissue

LOL, did applepissue get banned for /that/?

I has a signijer.
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98
LOL, did applepissue get banned for /that/?
Ouch, did not notice he was banned. <shrug> I did not see anything that merited banning, or even censure in my opinion. Maybe the moderators deleted the offending post?
QUOTE Thanks
Kar98

Kar98 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli
Ouch, did not notice he was banned. <shrug> I did not see anything that merited banning, or even censure in my opinion. Maybe the moderators deleted the offending post?
Nah, turns out he babbled endlessly about the same topic in some other thread where he was much more, uhm, outspoken? about the the lack of a more complex uninstall routine and that his "networking guys" all use W. etc etc

I has a signijer.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ical syncronisation | Trouble Shooting for my G5 »