Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Switcher Hangout (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/)
-   -   Why do YOU use a mac? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/32494-why-do-you-use-mac.html)

Devilmang 03-23-2006 11:32 PM

Why do YOU use a mac?

Hey everyone, first post go easy...

I have an iBook G4 that I bought after my Dell died. Have been hooked since.

So why do you use a mac?
For me, I hate to be cliche but "it just works". QFT.

tortoise 03-23-2006 11:47 PM

When I was a graphic designer I had no choice. That field (at least back in 94-98ish) was 110% Mac. I didn't mind because I loved the interface to MacOS8 and 9.

Now I use a Mac because it's an amazing melding of a really high quality, gorgeous gui environment that is a complete pleasure to use and a complete Unix system under the hood offering me everything I need in that department. Basically I sum it up as "an amazingly good Linux" :)

iWonder 03-23-2006 11:48 PM

i want to be unique and i like "expensive" things...

evolve 03-24-2006 12:05 AM

Honestly I have been a windows user all my life. I was so tired of the lag and lock ups, and thought to myself, "there has to be an easier way". I would see shows and movies with computers that would run EXTREMLY well. then I noticed alot of the computer used in shows and movies were macs. I had heard so much hype about the mac from die hard mac users. it got me thinking. I really had nothing to compare the PC with, but I started to pay MORE attention on how things ran on windows, as well as realized that a lot of things I had put into my PC were dramaticly "decaying" over time. Graphic cards were becoming frequent upgrades. Antivirus programs were starting to take up more space on my hdd than other programs. simple things like sufing the internet were becoming slower due to ALL the Daily updates on the Windows software. I got fed up. I got a imac and I LOVE it. No more "daily" updates, no more lag time, no more lock ups. Plus, being that I had never used a machine that had so much smoothness when it came to multitasking, I was Completely blown away!!! I will never go back to a windows machine.

RiseAbove24 03-24-2006 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iWonder
i want to be unique and i like "expensive" things...

LO LLLEL. someone sent me this fake apple advertisement about that sort of thing. it was hilarious, ill have to find it so i can post it. :P

coach_z 03-24-2006 02:20 AM

i use it because i tried it a few years ago and fell in love since
-chris

Kar98 03-24-2006 02:32 AM

My PC with 1GB of RAM and a P4 2.8 CPU just died and after having used Windows (3.1 thru XP Pro) since the days of yore when a 386 with 4 megs of RAM was state of the art, I've finally had it. I never played much in the way of games anyway, so that wasn't an issue.
I just couldn't be bothered anymore with the constant maintenance, the annoyances that haven't been fixed in generations, the overheating, the hardware conflicts, the dozen security vulnerabilities every week, the software updates...so a few days after the Mintels got announced, I ordered one of the last few G4 minis, maxed it out in options and still got a deal on it. May not be a screaming fast machine, but it's quiet, cool, does almost everything I need it to do and in the 4 days that I had it, I got a better handle on the OS than a beginner might get in 4 years of Windows. Now I'm kicking myself for not having done The Switch years ago. Oh well. Wondering if I shouldn't go on eBay and replace the other two PCs with some PowerMacs, too, leaving just one spare PC for running those few programs that don't have an equivalent on this one.

Kar98 03-24-2006 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiseAbove24
LO LLLEL. someone sent me this fake apple advertisement about that sort of thing. it was hilarious, ill have to find it so i can post it. :P

What, the iProduct?

http://www.teampdafrance.com/nghia/a...duct-thumb.gif

:p

ezhangin 03-24-2006 03:34 AM

Why do I use a mac? I'm in engineering

quicksilver 03-24-2006 04:04 AM

I started using a Mac when I began editing professionally. Was using Avid on a PC and got sick of having to restart when the processor gave up half way thru a large render session.

Called in a favour at a studio near me, and started working on FCP. Never went back. Within a week, I had sold my PC and bought a G4.

I just like the way things work on mac. Would never go back.

inflexion 03-24-2006 05:07 AM

Ive been using windows for a over 10 years and then started using linux for about 3 years and loved that, friend of mine got a PowerMac and then came to me and said buy one as you'd love it.
A PowerBook came up at the right price so i bought it knowing i could sell it on knowing that id loose nothing on it apart from my time.

With in 30minutes of turning it on, reinstalling the OS (was a 2nd hand machine) and then setting up my account and installing office i was sold on it already.
I loved it so much i applied to work for Apple and now i work for them and as they say the rest is history!

sdilley14 03-24-2006 05:31 AM

This single instance has prolly made me a Mac user for life. Last night I worked on my website for 10 hours straight...literally. The entire 10 hours, I had MSN, PhotoShop CS, DreamWeaver, iTunes, Safari, and FireFox all running at once. I was switching back and fourth between apps prolly every 2 minutes, had a good 4-5 tabs open in Safari, and was editing several pages on my website. The entire 10 hours, nothing froze up, nothing lagged, nothing shut down, no glitches, NOTHING. It ran flawlessly for 10 hours doing some pretty major multitasking. I was switching back and fourth between PS, DW, Safari, and iTunes constantly, and never had any lag or instability whatsoever. I couldn't dream of doing this on any of the PCs I've owned. I'm running a 1.5GHz PB G4 w/768MB. I've owned a 2.5GHz AMD Athlon machine, and a Dell 6000D w/1.73GHZ Centrino and 1GB, and neither of those systems, even brand new with a fresh install of XP, could EVER handle this for 10 hours straight without lagging like crazy or having atleast one of the programs crash somewhere down the line. Then I come to find that OSX comes with Apache preinstalled so I can test my website on my local network! Unreal. I guess after being a Windows victim for 10+ years it's hard to get used to the idea of relentless stability and consistent performance.

NightCrawler 03-24-2006 06:49 AM

heh :D i love my mac :D

no system crashes ! :O
its FAST!
it does make quite some noise, but who cares, it has handles so you can pick it up and swing at anyone who complains about the noise :P
its not windows! :P

gawd im glad i left windows... :P

2000blasterboy 03-24-2006 08:47 AM

for me my first coputer ever was like a proforma2500 or somthing lol, i liked it but all my friends had windows computers and i couldnt play the same games ect, so eventually i switched to windows, and now i am getting sick of my **** computer locking up, or just freezing every day, so i got an ibook, i had one before but i could not switch becasue i needed certain software then, now i dont, so i am back mac! lol
Ben

kaidomac 03-24-2006 09:45 AM

Because my G4 Cube looks cooler than my other computers. Really.