New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Mac newb help please!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Marshmule

Hi guys,

Please accept my apologies if i have posted this into wrong section,

I have recently been lucky enough to get my hands on an as new mac g3, it has been switched on 2 times and since sat in a box in an attic, its like new!

Anyway, i would really like to start using macs and i am considering buying my self a new mac mini, but before i make a decision im going to use the G3 for a month or two and decide.

First off how hard is the transition from windows to OSX?

I have a large ammount of mp3's and mpegs on my external pc harddrive, how do i use this on my g3, where can i get the required drivers?

If i do get a new mac and wish to upgrade the hard drive how easy is this process? Is it the same as with a pc? I.e. will i have any problems with compatitbility?

What would be the latest osx i could put on the G3? It currently runs 9.1 but that looks very dated.

Will i have any problems connecting to my current network? Its wireless but i can plug a cable in if i require.

Buying external devices such as dvd writer, hard drives etc would i have any compatibility issues,

i know these may seem like simple questions but i have never really used a mac in my life,

Any help is very much appreciated!

marshmule
QUOTE Thanks
Kar98

Kar98 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmule
Hi guys,
First off how hard is the transition from windows to OSX?
No so bad, especially if you keep a Windows PC at hand for those, oops! There's no application opening /those/ files on a Mac (very few, but it happens, like .pub or .lit)

Quote:
I have a large ammount of mp3's and mpegs on my external pc harddrive, how do i use this on my g3, where can i get the required drivers?
No drivers needed for mp3s, no idea if codecs are needed for mpgs. Make sure to uncheck "Copy MP3s to itunes" in iTunes, if you're planning to just copy them to your Mac harddrive, lest you'll end up with space-wasting duplicates.

Quote:
Will i have any problems connecting to my current network? Its wireless but i can plug a cable in if i require.
Connecting the mini to a wired ethernet wasn't a problem at all, I haven't gotten the wireless to work yet. Installing and printing to a network printer isn't a problem, sharing a printer that's connected to the mac via USB doesn't work yet either.

Quote:
Any help is very much appreciated!
Well, I answered the ones I have figured out yet

I has a signijer.
QUOTE Thanks
EDIT-XTREEM

EDIT-XTREEM has a spectacular aura about

what os do you plan on running? do you know how much ram is in this 'g3'?

Mac Pro (Early 2009) 8 Core 2.26 GHz, 6 GB Ram, 640 GB Drive. Dell 2408WFP.
QUOTE Thanks
Marshmule

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDIT-XTREEM
what os do you plan on running? do you know how much ram is in this 'g3'?
128mb as far as im aware, im not sure what os to run as im not sure what it would cope with, i think its a 350mhz with a 6gb hdd, if thats any help!

One other question, is installing a new OS much like installing windows? i.e format then install etc?

thanks guys
QUOTE Thanks
BlindingLights

BlindingLights is a jewel in the roughBlindingLights is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD

hmm...

No the switch is REALLY easy. If you're using OS X Tiger (which I don't recommend with a G3 machine unless your specs match the requirements), it took me about two to three hours to completely adjust to the new OS. But make the dive, it's worth it. I'm never switching back to Windows again (meaning I'll still have Windows machines, just I'll always have a mac too)

the back of our computer looks better than the front of theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_boy22
i can store many dvds on 1 floppy so it's essential to me
QUOTE Thanks
torchy

torchy is a jewel in the roughtorchy is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.

Your new to you Mac sounds great. Have fun with it.
Don't worry about changing to Mac, just take off your windows hat and you'll be fine. My XP is collecting dust rather than malware, it's not even plugged in.

Best resource for older Mac's
http://www.lowendmac.com/
Best

~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmule
128mb as far as im aware, im not sure what os to run as im not sure what it would cope with, i think its a 350mhz with a 6gb hdd, if thats any help!

One other question, is installing a new OS much like installing windows? i.e format then install etc?

thanks guys
What does the case look like? A Tower that is Blue & White or an iMac with built in monitor and pretty colors? With 128 Megs I would try OSX Jaguar 10.2. Anything newer would be very slow with 128 Megs RAM. The Ram can be upgraded though so you could at least use Panther 10.3.

Again what does the machine look like?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Divx Codec | Renaming folders »